VMware Edu & Cert Community
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VCAP5-DCA exam - That lab is slooooooowwwww!

Sat the VCAP5-DCA exam today. It was really frustrating. RDP screen redraws were taking 30 seconds at times. There wasn't anything that I didn't know how to do, however I just started skipping questions that required lots of clicking because of the GUI performance.

At one point, I also had a PEBCAK/self-inflicted issue that caused me to lose my connection to some of the core infrastructure -- I know, I'm an idiot. Trying to rush through those performance issues in the lab environment cracked my composure and compulsive double-checking before clicking Ok. Smiley Happy

Anyway, the TA ended up calling VMware about it, but by the time she had someone on the line, I had untangled my own mess, so she told them to disregard. However, a bunch of the configuration I had done had been rolled back. Without getting too specific, I had configured various components that absolutely wouldn't have been affected with my mistake/backout procedure, and a bunch of it was missing. This whole ordeal cost me about an hour.

Anyway, I ended up answering 20.5 of 26, and I felt like I really knew the material well. I guess the moral of the story is don't break your lab, and if you do, don't tell VMware about it. Smiley Happy

This wait is going to be brutal...

-Andy VCAP5-DCA, VCP-DV 4/5, MCSE, space camp graduate.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had very similar problems too, best thing you can do is email certification@vmware.com and describe in DETAIL how the clunky exam environment prevented you from answering all the stuff you knew. Provide yours and the venue's details when you email them.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had very similar problems too, best thing you can do is email certification@vmware.com and describe in DETAIL how the clunky exam environment prevented you from answering all the stuff you knew. Provide yours and the venue's details when you email them.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, Manny!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For the reference of others, the best thing to do is to ask the PearsonVUE administrator to raise a case for you whilst you are still at the test centre, that way there will a record that can be referred to during any investigation by VMware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Scott, I did that too and the response I got from VUE was - We dont directly log cases with VMware. This problem wasnt caused by our systems but by the environment the exam is hosted in. Please log your grievances directly with VMware.

Yep, that's what I was told.

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, Scott. I actually did have the proctor log a case while I was there, but she wouldn't give me the case number, which I didn't understand. I'm not familiar with that process, but it seemed really odd that I couldn't at least get the case number. She said VMware would get back to me in 2 days. I followed up with an email to certification@vmware.com as Manny suggested, in case that helps at all.

0 Kudos
NickBowie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've got my exam tomorrow morning in NZ. I'm confident around the material... but not so confident about the performance of the environment 😕

I've already checked/warned the testing centre that I might come bolting out of the room to get a case logged so at least they're prepared 😉 It's shocking that the testing environment is consistently bad though. And it's not like this is news either...

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Good luck!

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One major tip i have to ensure the delay between your machine and the lab in the US isn't too bad is to use the links at the top of the screen rather than the ones on the desktop of the RDP machines. They will all be at the top middle of the screen and i have heard from several people these allow faster access and less delay.

I personally didn't use this method as I didn't know about it and still passed it so the delay is a challenge but if you know your stuff I think it wont matter.

Good luck!!

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

firestartah,

You may be referring to avoiding double-nesting when possible.  The initial machine you connect to has RDP and vSphere client access to all the exam components.  All tasks should be launched from that screen when possible, and when a task is completed that needed RDP, return to the initial desktop when finished.

What you don't want to do it RDP from the initial desktop to the vCenter server from there RDP to the PowerCLI machine from there RDP to the VUM server.

Note that some task require you to RDP to a specific desktop (powerCLI/vCenter) before performing vSphere tasks

0 Kudos
NickBowie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to make it through (most of) 24/26 questions, kicking off a particular task about 20 seconds before the exam session ended. I hope that task completed Smiley Wink

Overall the exam questions were great, but the performance was terrible. I do hope VMware sort this out for the ~VCAP6 series.

0 Kudos
NickBowie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I Just remembered (after my brain has re-composed) but I had a situation where config I'd made early on (around question 1 or 2) had disappeared when I checked on it much later. By that time it involved some frantic clicking! Very irritating and possibly the same bit as in Andy's original post.

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Congrats! I agree the content of the exam was really well done. Totally in line with the blueprint.

The config I lost was a task I completed around question 2 or 3... makes me wonder if it was the same bit too.

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I didn't expect to hear back nearly this soon, but apparently I still passed!

0 Kudos
NickBowie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well done :smileygrin:

i passed too. Phew. On to the DCD eh Smiley Happy

And thanks to the VMware team for looking in to the issues experienced so to improve the program. You guys rock!

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Congrats!

Yeah, DCD next... That blueprint is pretty open ended, though. I really have no idea what to expect. I might need a month or two to figure out what's going on there. Smiley Happy

Anyway, thanks everyone here and at VMware for the help. Also, Jason Nash's new VCAP5-DCA series on Trainsignal is fantastic.

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well done to both of you!!

I sit the DCD in 3 weeks and will post up my experience with the test. That blueprint is so open-ended that I've had to resort to gleaning what-to-read-info from the various test blogs out on the internet and study accordingly. I too have no idea what to expect, but I'll be going in firing on all cylinders!

Good luck to you on the DCD!

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, and good luck to you too! Let us know how it goes.