VMware Edu & Cert Community
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCAP5-DCA - Documentation in Exam

Hello;

So reading the forum and looking at the screenshots I notice a discrepancy from the Blueprint and screenshot going around in this forum.

In the latest blueprint - documentation links to to version 5.0 of the guides, while the screenshot in the forums show 501.  Also there is some documentation included in the blueprint which is missing from the screen.

example

1. vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-host-management-guide.pdf  vs vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-501-host-management-guide.pdf

2.  Also screenshot is missing vsphere-update-manager-50-reconfig-guide.pdf  where in the blueprint i found a link to it under section 5.2

Screenshot from this Forum

DCA5Doclist.jpg

Message was edited by: asurania

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Useful info by asurania. I'll add:

An important thing to keep in mind is not all the above pdf's will be available during the exam. There'll only be a subset available. You may think that only the relevant ones would be there, I thought the same too. But during my test, I only had 4-5 show up and 2 of the biggest topics on the test didnt have the related pdf's there. It didnt matter though, I knew enough of the material to be able to pass without the pdf's.

On another note, if you think you would have time to check out the pdf's for anything you cant remember - forget it! There's not enough time to finish all the tasks, let alone look at slowwwwwwwwwwww pdf's. In addition, if you intend looking through the pdf's on the fly - you aint adequately prepared.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The reply above this one is key - time is very tight so you should plan to be self-sufficient if at all possible, I found it better to use help directly in the CLI when I did my VCAP4-DCA...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issue is that I don't want any surprises.   I should reasonably be able to know what documents are on the test or not.   For example I am reading that some people get access to all the documents and others don't, which gives some people an advantage or disadvantage.  Also if I do get stumped, i want to know i can refer to the documents, so i can move on. 

Better to confirm and know what documentation is there, even through fingers cross I don't need to use it

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I had access to all the documents I might have needed when doing my VCAP4-DCA, but repeat that it is unlikely you'll have time to refer to them anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As much as I admire VMware for their products, the VCAP exams havent been fully baked before being madeavailable to the public. There have been tons of teething problems and I know that Randy Becraft and the rest of the good people are working hard at fixing them. But while they fix the issues, we have to deal with them. And one of them is not all the pdf's you may need will be there. I'll give you a tip - memorize the page number of a topic you arent very good at. Take LUN masking for example, it isnt something most admins would do on a daily basis. I certainly dont do it everyday. I did practice on the topic at home, but to be able to answer a question on LUN masking I'd need the step-by-step instructions to get to the end result. So I memorized the page numbers for instructions to LUN masking and I think 2-3 other things. The pdf's are the same and so are the page numbers.

Thing is scrolling the pdf's is SLOWWWWW. So your best bet is to know where you look. I know all this is not exactly relevant but just putting it out there for all to read.

Good luck by the way, I've read other posts you've made and you seem like an informed guy - you'll do just fine. FYI - I found the DCA waaayy easier than the VCP.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

The 5.0 documentation was updated to 5.0.1 (ie 501) at some point after RTM.

The 5.1 documentation is notated 511 

The blueprint is periodically updated, the docs in the kits only on request.  I'll put the update doc in the change queue to be added.

The CIA and DTA exams now have html access to the documentation and the knowledge base so the latest docs are available on those exams.

0 Kudos
LeoPastor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, interesting your comment that you found VCAP easier than VCP, it is at least kind of motivating reading that.

Anyway, it might be the case because it is more focused than VCP, as it happens with other vendor's certs out there.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Leo;

Yea i found the VCAP easier since it is hands on and open book.  Multiple Choice exam there is no opportunity to double check the menu, or check documentation or figure out a feature you never seen.

I took both the 5.1 and 5.5 VCAP exam, and I highly recommend you take the 5.5 version of the exam. 

Another tip... at the start of the exam figure out where the documentation is especially the web based documentation.

Few other tips

1. Go through the VEEAM VCAP 5,1 Study guide

2. Go Through the Pluralsight Trainsignal Videos

3. If you do the 5.5 exam - look at the blueprint carefully and study the additional content which is in the 5.5 exam.

4. Verify you know everything in the Exam Blueprint...

5. Anything your weak on - know where that stuff is on the documentation (both Web Based, and PDF)

6. Buy the official VCAP5-DCA Premium Study guide - Go through the 3  practice exam - ALL OF THEM  - It was a big help in solidifying my knowledge and pinpointing my week spot.

0 Kudos
LeoPastor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the additional tips, it seems a nice summary of really good sources of info for preparing for the exam.

I already bought VCAP5-DCA Premium SG, and I will go through all the practice exams you mentioned.

I will do 5.5.

Again, thanks for the tips!

0 Kudos