VMware Edu & Cert Community
btrainor
Contributor
Contributor

VCAP4 vs. VCAP5

So I realize I'm a little behind on the pursuit of the advanced VMware certifications but am gearing up to pursue them now.  My question is, is there still real value in pursuing the VCAP4-DCA exam at this point or am I better advised to start focusing on VCAP5-DCA now so I'm ready when it's eventually released?  I am a VCP3/4/5 and have been using vSphere 4 since it was released.  My company has not yet upgraded to vSphere 5, but I have a nice lab for practice.  Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

The same question would apply to the VCAP4(5)-DCD exams as well.  Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you're at the start of your preparations for VCAP-DCA and VCAP-DCD, then I would advise to prepare for the vSphere 5 versions of these certifications.

Registration is open now for VCAP5-DCD, and VCAP5-DCA is now in beta so it won't be too many weeks til open registration begins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
btrainor
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response, Scott. I figured that would be the case. The reason I was still considering the VCAP4 exams was because of my deeper understanding and experience with vSphere 4. I realize, however, there is so much overlap between the versions and that my lab time in vSphere 5 should fill the gaps. Pushing for a vSphere 5 upgrade in our data center would help too!  Thanks again for the guidance.

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

btrainor wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, Scott. I figured that would be the case. The reason I was still considering the VCAP4 exams was because of my deeper understanding and experience with vSphere 4. I realize, however, there is so much overlap between the versions and that my lab time in vSphere 5 should fill the gaps. Pushing for a vSphere 5 upgrade in our data center would help too!  Thanks again for the guidance.

Definitely a lot of overlap but also keep in mind of all of the new esxcli commands and all of the previous ones that have been depreciated.  Also, you don't have to study around the service console (which I haven't personally used in a lonnnnnnnng time).  Also the requirements for Orchestrator, Heartbeat and Linked Mode are also out of the picture (I see this as a positive as well).

Here's a page that breaks down the differences.

http://www.vexperienced.co.uk/2012/04/12/vcap5-dca-whats-new/

I would say to definitely just push for the VCAP5 exams without question.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
btrainor
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent!  I really appreciate the feedback.  And thanks for the link to Edward Grigson's VCAP-DCA notes.  Definitely a lot of great information on his blog.

0 Kudos