VMware Edu & Cert Community
rajeshck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCAP or VCIX

Hi Friends

I'm currently holding VCP-NV & VCP5-DCV certifications ( Valid until march 2017), I am planning to progress further on both the tracks, appreciate your helps to plan my journey

I was about to take certs in this order VCAP5-DCA, VCAP5-DCD then VCIX-NV, but later I found VMware introduced VCIX6-DCV & VCIX6-NV, so my question is,

1. should I wait for VCIX6 series, so that I can at least save one exam cost?
  2. VCIX6 is equivalent to VCAP5-DCA+VCAP5-DCD ? or at least they cover both the design and admin part ?
  3. Will my current certs can be used as pre-requisite for VCIX6 ?

Thanks for your support

Rajesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

should I wait for VCIX6 series, so that I can at least save one exam cost?

I don't think you'll be taking less exams - there will be 2 exams for VCIX6-DCV and 1 (or 2) for VCIX6-NV - so you'll end up taking at least 3, the same as you would if you did the existing VCAP5-DCA / VCAP5-DCD / VCIX-NV certifications you mentioned.

VCIX6 is equivalent to VCAP5-DCA+VCAP5-DCD ? or at least they cover both the design and admin part ?

Yes, VCIX is the equivalent level of certification of VCAP, focused on implementation and design.

Will my current certs can be used as pre-requisite for VCIX6 ?

I don't know if that's been confirmed yet.

Some useful reading:

VMware Certification Roadmap for 2015

Migration Paths from v5 Certification to v6 | VMware Education and Certification Blog - VMware Blogs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VCAP exams will be replaced with VCIX, at the moment there is no public information for VCIX-DCV is available yet.  I would recommend pursuing VCIX-DCV.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

should I wait for VCIX6 series, so that I can at least save one exam cost?

I don't think you'll be taking less exams - there will be 2 exams for VCIX6-DCV and 1 (or 2) for VCIX6-NV - so you'll end up taking at least 3, the same as you would if you did the existing VCAP5-DCA / VCAP5-DCD / VCIX-NV certifications you mentioned.

VCIX6 is equivalent to VCAP5-DCA+VCAP5-DCD ? or at least they cover both the design and admin part ?

Yes, VCIX is the equivalent level of certification of VCAP, focused on implementation and design.

Will my current certs can be used as pre-requisite for VCIX6 ?

I don't know if that's been confirmed yet.

Some useful reading:

VMware Certification Roadmap for 2015

Migration Paths from v5 Certification to v6 | VMware Education and Certification Blog - VMware Blogs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
rajeshck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks VFK for the helpful response

can you compare VCAP5-DCD & VCAP5-DCA, what is the main difference in terms of exams ? can i use the same resources for both the exams ? can you please point out some links which is comparing both VCAPs exams?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

They're very different exams - DCA is a live lab hands-on experience, while DCD includes a design tool.

They have different objectives.

Download and read through the blueprints from their pages:

(VCAP5-DCA) VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5

(VCAP5-DCD) VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 - Data Center Design

0 Kudos