VMware Edu & Cert Community
cooladude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCAP - DTD product docs

Hi Guys

The blueprint for the VCAP-DTD lists product documentation as recommended reading

How accurate is this ? I mean the people i have talked to dont really mention these docs as required for the exam, after all its a design exam and these guides are "installation / administration" etc

The admin guide is over 400 pages and surely not needed ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmarx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It sounds like you know the real deal.  Smiley Happy

Emphasizing:

You will need to be able to determine the appropriate type of pool based on use-case requirements for your design (full vs linked).

You will need to know how to select from the presented storage 'options' to meet your design goals.

In my experience, I did not need to determine storage sizing to the granular detail as you are describing.

Good luck,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - The blueprint shoud be a key element in your peparation for the VCAP-DTD - the document links  included in the topic areas that are provided as information sources for addiitonal review about that that topic - so no you should have not to read the entire admin guide but use it to find additional information for that topic.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cooladude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Also i am a little confused with regard to storage sizing.

For example a linked clone could be made up of vmdk / guest swap / vswp / logs / hibernation file / suspend file

Now hibernation should be disabled and by default vm's are not set to suspend at log off so would it just be vmdk / guest swap plus vswp to include in a storage sizing for the exam ?

Will they tell you in the exam for instance - vswp will be stored on local storage so wont affect the vm's storage sizing on shared storage and would you factor in the guest swap even if it were stored on disposable disk (its still taking up storage for a while right ?)

Will it be clear in the exam ?

0 Kudos
mmarx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cant comment on the exam content details...

But, it is safe to assume that you will need to know when to choose between the type of pool (full or linked clone), and how much of a storage footprint that pool could possibly require for a design.

0 Kudos
cooladude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah i know that i need to size the storage etc but i was just wondering will they give you details in the exam about wheter the suspend file or guest paging file is needed. as these are 100% and 150% of guest ram, they will have a big impact on storage sizing

0 Kudos
mmarx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It sounds like you know the real deal.  Smiley Happy

Emphasizing:

You will need to be able to determine the appropriate type of pool based on use-case requirements for your design (full vs linked).

You will need to know how to select from the presented storage 'options' to meet your design goals.

In my experience, I did not need to determine storage sizing to the granular detail as you are describing.

Good luck,

Mike

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For some hint see also: http://vinfrastructure.it/en/2013/06/vcap5-dtd-study-guides/

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos