VMware Edu & Cert Community
n1cvirtu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCAP-DCV 2020 Design/Deploy - Update to vSphere 7

Hi everybody,

would really appreciate your advice regarding my case.

Base Case:

I am currently reviving my preparations for VCDX-DCV. Back in 2017 I already achieved the milestone VCIX-DCV 6 - (VCAP Design & Deploy 6) which was a requirement for VCDX 6.

At last a lot of things changed and I see that for VCDX-DCV 2020 the VCP-DCV 2020 and VCIX-DCV 2020 badge are the requirements. Thus, I already passed the VCP-DCV 2020 a week ago.

Consideration:

In order to obtain the VCIX-DCV 2020 badge, I have to pass these two exams:

Unfortunately vSphere 7.0 U1 is already live and I would unwillingly prepare for 6.5 and 6.7 exams but directly move into the new 7.x architecture and improvements.

What would you guys do? Invest in the old exams or wait for Design / Deploy 7?

Has anyone a time frame when the new VCAPs will be available?

Any other suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Nicolas Frey
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you can do it in the next 2 months and your priority is VCDX qualification I think you would be better to stick with 6.x for the exams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The VCAP-DCV exams for vSphere 7 are in development but no release date has yet been announced - what is your expected timeframe for achieving the VCIX?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
n1cvirtu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your fast response.

Would like to achieve the VCIX in 2020 to kick-off the VCDX for 1st half of 2021.

Best regards,
Nicolas Frey
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you can do it in the next 2 months and your priority is VCDX qualification I think you would be better to stick with 6.x for the exams.

asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Depending on how  much time you want to invest studying you should just write the exam or take the course option and update the certificate.

The deploy exam was pretty easy, and since you done the studying already  for the older version it sould just be a quick review and do the exam.

For the design exam tomorrow I  don't know the difficulty level   (i have spend a few months studying), but from what i hear the 6.5 exam is easier then 6.

Last you could also opt for the easy route like i mentioned earlier and just take the official vmware course to update the certificate.   Specifically for the design course.   I know they are third party vendors that have it for $1200 to $1400 USD.    This could shave off  a lot of studying time.

I would not wait for the 7.x exams.   The deploy 6.7 exam just got released in July, after 7.0 came out.

If i pass the exam tomorrow, I plan to start on the VCDX to.

n1cvirtu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi asurania,

Thanks for your suggestions and I hope you passed the Deploy exam 🙂

Here is my update:

I could pass the VCAP Design Exam, and it was sufficient to earn the VCIX 2020 no need for the VCAP Deploy 6.7 the VCAP Deploy 6 from 2017 was enough.

Besides that, based on the information in certifications manager certification catalog, the VCIX 2020 is one valid requirement for VCDX-2021.

Stay healthy and save.

Best regards,
Nicolas Frey
0 Kudos