VMware Edu & Cert Community
etiennemunnichf
Contributor
Contributor

VCAP DCD 5.5 or 6?

Hi guys

I need some advice; I have a VCP510DCV (expires in April) and am busy with prep for my DCD 550. Should I rather just do my VCP550 renewal and then wait for DCD 6 exam and course?

Thank you in advance,

Etienne

27 Replies
JoshuaAndrewsVM

What is your ultimate goal?  There is no DCD6, there will be a design exam for VCIX-DCV (on v6) but just passing that exam does not grant certification, you need both the design and admin exams to be VCIX certified.

VCAP (on v5) is one 3+hr exam = 1 cert

VCIX (on v6) is one 2+hr exam and one 3+hr exam = 1 cert

If you take and pass DCD550 you can then start studying for VCIX-DCV (admin exam).  Pass and you'll be VCIX-DCV.

If you are busy prepping for DCD550 that would be the way to go.  You get a cert now, extend your VCPs 2 years (You need to pass both VCIX exams to extend your VCP certs) and have an immediate goal to work towards that will bring you to the newest level.

0 Kudos
vBenja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Joshua,

sorry, can you explain better following statement?

"If you take and pass DCD550 you can then start studying for VCIX-DCV (admin exam).  Pass and you'll be VCIX-DCV."

Actually i'm DCA5(50), when VCIX-DCV will be released  i need only to take and pass design exam to gain the new certification?

Best regards

Benja

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

DCA+VCIX-DCV (design) = VCIX-DCV has not been formally confirmed yet.

0 Kudos
DCSpooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

JoshuaAndrewsVM,

I do not like that idea of having to pass both exams in order to extend a lower level cert. I have a suggestion for you, countinue with the VCAP-DCD & DCA for individual certs but both of them gets you VCIX-DCV. each VCAP cert will extend the the VCP. It took me 8 months to prepare for the DCD exam  so I will also expect to take another 8 months for me to prepare for the DCA exam, granted that might seam long, but I also am working on my MBA at the same time. so working on my MBA and VCAP at the same time is a lot of work and that does not leave me much time for renewal of my vcp if i was under the rule you were describing. but under the one i am proposing it does as each vcap will extend my vcp. also when you take each vcap exam you are still showing that you know the materiel, so each exam should extend your expiring certifications.

so JoshuaAndrewsVM suggest this to the big bosses.

Darren

JoshuaAndrewsVM

please send any suggestions to certification@vmware.com

0 Kudos
etiennemunnichf
Contributor
Contributor

I must admit that the training released for vSphere 6 should’ve included the DCD; it’s poor timing from my perspective since I’m pursuing my DCD. I’ll most likely do my VCP delta exam in the interim.

Etienne Munnich

Senior Engineer

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

Upgrade path should be as straight as possible, if you have completed VCAP exam already, you should only do the remaining exam to become VCIX-DCV.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
DCSpooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes that will work for me now but what about 2 years from now. i wonder if the VCIX will have to be renew every 2 years and what steps will need to be taken to do that

0 Kudos
nyjz1298
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in a similiar situation.  I recently passed the VCAP-DCA 5.5 and was starting to prep for the VCAP-DCD 5.5.  If I take and pass the VCIX Design exam will I then become a VCIX with a DCA5.5 and a "DCD" 6?  Or will my DCA need to be upgraded to 6?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

You will have VCAP5-DCA and VCIX6-DCV.

0 Kudos
nyjz1298
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Joshua!  I'm going to shoot for the VCIX Design test.  Already pre-ordered Mastering VMware vSphere 6.  Looks like it won't ship for 2 months.  Yikes...

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

Does this mean the roadmap has been clarified? 

VCAP5-DCA + VCIX Design == VCIX-DVA

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
etiennemunnichf
Contributor
Contributor

And if I do the DCD 5.5 first then DCA 6 what happens then?

Etienne Munnich

Senior Engineer

Moderator note: Removed email headers from text.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

In theory VCAP5-DCA + VCIX DCV Design == VCIX-DCV, but that has not been officially announced

I was told VCAP5-DCD+VCIX-DCV Admin = VCIX-DCV and VCAP5-DCD (two certs)

0 Kudos
samarea
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm.. that sounds like VCIX6-DCV can take a combination of 5.x and 6.0 exams? Is that confirmed, Joshua?

I have done the VCAP5-DCD, and was going to take the VCAP5-DCA this month. However it seems logical to wait for the VCIX-Admin exam so that I can get a VCIX6 on the way?

0 Kudos
hs77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what about upgrade from VCIX-NV to VCIX6-NV.

Is it better to go for VCIX-NV now or wait for VCIX6-NV Exams.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

That will depend on your endpoint.  if you are pursuing the VCDX-NX and time you have to commit.  VMware currently have not released these exams.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

the current VCIX-NV exam is the admin exam for VCIX6-NV.

sclarkenetcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK so confused (like most of the community by the looks of it) on how this all works!

Am I right in thinking:

VCAP5-DCD + VCIX6 Admin exam = VCIX6 + extension of all qualifications by 2 years?

VCAP5-DCA + VCIX6 Design Exam = VCIX6 + extension of all qualifications by 2 years?

What (if any) course requirements are there for the VCIX6 exams?

Do you need to re-qualify at VCP level before attempting the VCIX level exams?

I.E.  do you have to do the VCP5 to VCP6 delta exam before you can sit the VCIX6 exams or does your VCP5-DCV/VCAP5-DCD/VCAP5-DCA qualification count for any pre-requisites?

0 Kudos