VMware Edu & Cert Community
rmarks1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCAP-DCA5 & VCAP-DCD5

Hi,

I have booekd both the VCAP-DCA5 & VCAP-DCD5 exams with the intention of going for the VCDX after, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they are bringing out a new vSphere this year that would make those exams redundant?

I would not want to study and sit both of the above only to then have to go and resit the next version of it to be able to do the VCDX.

Any ideas? Or just sit them and then move straight onto the VCDX prep?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the COmmunity - SInce VCDX is your ultimate goal I would continue to pursue the current versions of these exams and the VCDX for two reasons - The upgrades to the VCDX lagged the software relaese by more than a year as well as the VCAP exams - THe other reason is that currenly to upgrade a VCDX all you will need to do is pass the DCD examfor that version or tract - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the COmmunity - SInce VCDX is your ultimate goal I would continue to pursue the current versions of these exams and the VCDX for two reasons - The upgrades to the VCDX lagged the software relaese by more than a year as well as the VCAP exams - THe other reason is that currenly to upgrade a VCDX all you will need to do is pass the DCD examfor that version or tract - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rmarks1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok. Thanks for the reply

I was hoping that would be the case, so now I can continue without worrying about lost time etc.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bmeadows
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agreed.  Don't worry about the new version coming out in regards to VCDX.  VCDX on version 4 is still ongoing through the end of this year, so 5 should be available for a year or two after that ends, due to the lag time of version release and certifications being completed.

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also the DCA wasn't available till around September of 2012, a year after vSphere 5 was released.

So it's safe to say that you'll get at least a year of time to catch up (but I'm sure more).

I personally wish that you were allowed to defend the the VCDX version of your tests indefinitely, it's not as if design methodology gets overhauled upon each release.   Having that time window hanging over your head is a pretty large stressor and may rush a pre-mature application on my part.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For VCDX news follow also the VCDX forum.

Anyway go to the VCAP exams (DCD is quite difficult but could help in the VCDX preparation).

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos