VMware Edu & Cert Community
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tips for taking the exam at VMworld?

I'll be taking the VDCA550 Sunday morning at VMworld. This is the first time I'll be taking an exam during VMworld and was just wondering if anybody had any advice from their previous experiences of taking any exams there.

For example, normally testing centers have lockers or someplace to put your belongings since you can't bring them in with you. Is that the case here? I'd hate to bring my bag or even my phone, and not be able to bring it in or have a safe place to stow it.

Are they usually set up in the same place every year? The appointment details say Moscone South, west mezzanine. Is that where it normally takes place?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will also be taking my VDCA550 and VDCD550 at VMworld this year. Good Luck!

0 Kudos
crawfordm
Expert
Expert

I am taking VCAP-DCD exam on Sunday.  At VMworld 2012 the exam center was at the Marriot.  Last year it was at Moscone South.  I did not take an exam last year, but I did walk by and I did not see lockers anywhere.  I heard there is table that you can drop your bag off at.

Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

There is a table inside the testing room for you to drop your bag/phone/smart watch/google glasses etc on.  Just make sure you turn electronics off.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

I will be writing my DCD on Tuesday, if anyone wants to touch base about there experience prior or after let me know.  I think my exam starts at 10AM on tuesday.  Sadly due to flight restrictions and the courses I wanted to get into, this was the only time I could seat the exam.

0 Kudos
PReinhart
Contributor
Contributor

I have taken a number of exams at previous VMworld conferences and it has gotten much better over the years.  The testing center at the Marriott was very cramped and very distracting.  Last year, they moved the testing center to Moscone south and the testing stations are spaced out and provide for a much more relaxing testing experience. Like Joshua Andrews said, there is a spot for your stuff.

Since you are taking your exam on Sunday, you probably won't have a chance to stop by the certification lounge prior to the exam.  Last year they had an exam demo station that allowed for a trial run of exam scenarios that was very nice to get an idea of what kind of questions are asked on the DCA exam. 

JoshuaAndrewsVM

PReinhart: That's Test Track and you can hit me up here or Twitter to get RDP access any time other than VMworld.

0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like access to this?

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey Joshua.

Do you have a test track for the DCD? or is there one just for the DCA?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

Just DCA.  Have you seen the simulator?  http://mylearn.vmware.com/register.cfm?course=149330

0 Kudos
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is it safe to assume that the exams taken at vmworld should NOT have lag as they would normally from a testing center?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

I don't know that we have had a complaint, but we are at the mercy of the Moscone's ISP.

The desktop equipment is optimized, which is most of the battle.

JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey Joshua,

Yeah I have ran through this a few times now Smiley Happy  Was just looking for some more practice type questions or more prep work. 

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

This is a nice simulator and nice example to walk through.  The design simulator auto-aligns objects, is this going to a reflection in the exam as well, I know there has been many reports about object alignments and getting everything order.  If this is an example of the new tool it is improvement.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
burdweiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took the VCAP-DCD last year and failed. I am taking it again on Sunday at VMworld. The exam center has you wrap your conference badge around your backpack and leave it by the door. I think it was sitting in view. I would bring a back pack or bag for your stuff and put your badge around it. I experienced no lag in my exam last year. The area did seem a little cramped. I think one year they had tables facing each other, which was very annoying. The lounge was a pretty nice area to focus before you went into the exam.

I am flying in Saturday. I plan on locking myself in the hotel and put in study time until Sunday! Good luck!

0 Kudos
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's my plan as well, flying in Saturday afternoon and trying to study right up until my exam 10:30am the next morning.

Thanks for the bag info, I'm probably going to just bring my badge and ID leaving my phone and bag/laptop at the hotel. Less to worry about that way.

Good luck

0 Kudos
burdweiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wonder if it is possible to get a study group together on Saturday?

0 Kudos
crawfordm
Expert
Expert

My flight gets in around 1 pm on Saturday.  I am taking the exam on Sunday also.  I would love to get together for a study group. 

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
burdweiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alright, the study group as been born. I will start a new post and see if anyone is interested.

0 Kudos