VMware Edu & Cert Community
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Should I wait for 5?

After recently becoming a VMW employee my motivation has went up to push the VCAP route (specifically DCD for now); however, with the VCP5 tests just coming out do you think it is worth the time to take now or just wait it out?  I'm sure the revised DCA/DCD exams will trail far behind but have yet to hear any good rumors regarding it.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

The choice between v4 or v5 must also depends by your knowlege level.

If you are quite ready for the exam, I suggest to go for the v4 version, because actually there isn't any info about the new VCAP5 series (maybe during VMworld there are some info?!).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the motivation you have, you should start with v4 if it is not only the certification you want/need, but also the knowledge. In all the IT projects I was involved so far it has always been an advantage to have at least some background knwledge about "older" SW versions (Not only VMware, but mostly all vendors!)

André

EdWilts
Expert
Expert

Because you're an employee, I suspect that the training and exam costs are less of an issue for you than the rest of us.  Since the vast majority of your customers wil be on 4.x for a while yet, I'd suggest you start with the 4.x certs and then write the new exams when they (and you) are ready.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ed, pretty sound advice... I think that is what I needed to hear.  I've been simultaneously reading Scott's vSphere 4 Design book and Duncan's vSphere 5 clustering book so I constantly change my focus depending what flight I was just on Smiley Happy.  Going over the blueprint I feel ready for the DCD but I expect to be blindsided.  I'll post back when successful.

Steve

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos