VMware Edu & Cert Community
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Shall I proceed preparing for VCAP-DCA / D or wait for vSphere 5 new certification?

Hello,

As I'm a ware that VMWare keeps changing their certification path on every new version they release, the same as with Vi3 Smiley Happy I have passed the VCP3 and I have taken the DSA course to prepare for the VCDX3, but when I attempt to register for the VCDX after releasing vSphere 4, I was surprise to read that VMware doesn't accept new candidate for VCDX3 Smiley Happy..

I'm still enthusiasts to be part of the VCDX world, but it seems VMWare soon will release the vSphere 5 along with VCP511 exam, If I'm not mistaken and all the plan will change.

As the pre-requests for the VCDX is VCP4, VCAP-DCA and VCAP-DCD, I have cleared the VCP4 and I'm almost ready to clear the other two requirements, but as I stated above, by that time I will be ready to set for the VCAP-A and VCAP-D, I'm afraid VMware will surprise me again by saying Oh my dear, we are no longer accepting new VCPA's candidate or VCDX candidates.. To be part of the VCDX world, you have to clear VCP5 exam, then blah blah blah.

VMWare Please be BOLD with your students for any upcoming new certification plan, specially who are self-sponsored like me:)

Thanks,

S.Hussain

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
6 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, vSphere 5 is gonna be released very soon, but the new VCP certification will take more time.
If you feel you are prepared to take the VCAP exams, I think you should take them.  But if you need some time to get prepare, maybe it's better to wait to the next VCP certification being released.
I took and passed the VCAP-DCD exam just 2 weeks ago.
Best Regards
Patricio Cerda
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Congratulations for passing the VCAP, I have to be prepared for it at least 1 and half month or two maximum.

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

All VMware certifications are specific to a product version, anyone can choose whether they want to update their certifications to the latest version or just retain their certifications on a previous version. It makes perfect sense for VMware to move partners and individuals to certify on the latest versions of their technologies.

What doesn't make any sense is for VMware to announce the new certification requirements prior to the release of a new product - I'm certain that we will all find out the requirements and "upgrade" processes for the version 5 generation certifications (VCP, VCAP, VCDX) soon enough after July 12th.

If you're as close to the VCAP certifications as you say, I'd still go for those now if I were you. But, of course it is completely your choice - as it was to gain any VMware certification to begin with 😉

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Agree with you the vmware certification are specific version of vmware product, but I'm afraid of the expiry date / retirement because new version has been released!! I hope they won't be.. I will book for it and I will give myself 1 month to prepare for it, by that time the new vSphere 5 released and it's certification path will be clear to everyone.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware certification will not expire... only the exam will not be available.

So I suggest to go to the vSphere 4 version (you have plan to take in the next 2 months, and I suppose that new VCAP5 will be released in the next year).

Also I suppose that there will be a discount (with a limited time period) to take new VCAP5 exam if you already be VCAP4 certified.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
simonhamiltonwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just wish the upgrade from one version to the next was less onerous, in both time and cost.  Kudos to VMware's R&D for making such progress they feel the need to change major version numbers, but until you have achieved VCDX it's a matter of retaking every exam.

Maybe they could streamline things a little more - so if VCDX just take one VCAP exam to upgrade, if you have both VCAP's then take both VCAPs but that upgrades your VCP - there's a big overlap there if you can pass both VCAPs the VCP exam isn't much of a challenge.

Simon

0 Kudos