VMware Edu & Cert Community
rushad61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Passed VCAP-DCA 510 My experience

Hi All

I would like to share my VCAP experience with you. I am very pleased to announce that I passed my VCAP-DCA 510 exam on the 1/10/2014!!! Yes I did it.

I would like to start by saying this exam is one of the hardest exams I have every given from any previous Vendor such as Cisco, Microsoft or VMware for that matter. The VCP is a walk in the park in comparison with multiple choice questions. I am Senior Engineer working for a Global Fortune 100 company and I work on designing and deploying new vSphere installations for customers. But I had to work hard as even doing day to day vSphere admin duties will not be adequate to get through the exam.

I gave myself 3 months to study and prepare for it as being a father of 2 young children, I never seem to get much time to myself. My routing considered of getting up at 4.00am most days and getting study time before going to work . The exam is a hands on lab exam with 26 questions for 3.5 hours. I was fortunate enough to get through to all 26 questions but I left 2 Q’s unanswered  as I was not sure what the answer was.  Like all other candidates I made sure I clicked the end exam button on Questions 26 with 4 seconds to spare!  I did not want to take the chance in any delay of getting my exam result. VMware says to allow 15 days for the exam but that is a thing of the past, I got my results via email in 15 minutes of me finishing my exam.  Boy was I happy Smiley Happy

I found that studying for the exam is not difficult as there is a lot of study material out there. The trick is to understand the fundamentals and  know your stuff inside out. If you have to look at the documentation (which is provided in the exam) for something that you are not sure about then you are not likely to pass. Time is your biggest enemy. Past exam takers have mentioned this again and again and I would like to emphasise the same.  You need to practice your procedures of how to do admin tasks till you can do it on the spot and practically when you wake up first time in the morning I was fortunate to have a 5 host cluster with an iSCSI SAN test bed at work which I could practice on.  Without having a lab to practise for this exam, I think it is impossible to pass the exam.

A full in-depth review can be found at my website with the exact study material I used http://xpertvmware.co.uk/vcap.html

Thanks Joshua Andrews for the test labs... highly recommend them.

I hope my experience can help others on their journey to becoming a VCAP-DCA.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Congrats!

Next up VCAP-DCD :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Congrats!

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos