VMware Edu & Cert Community
jraimer
Contributor
Contributor

Just beginning VCAP5-DCA studies

Last summer, I finally achieved my VCP on the third attempt. Although I thought it was quite an accomplishment at the time, after reading through some of these posts for the VCAP5-DCA, I see that it was kind of like graduating kindergarten. My hope was that studying intently with my lab setup at home was going to prepare me for at least a reasonable chance of passing the exam on my first - or second - attempt. Now I'm not so sure.

My history:

- 30-year veteran of datacenter IT - primarily focused on servers, storage, and operating systems with minimal exposure to networking

- Started with VAX-VMS and highly certified in various aspects of that OS

- No certifications, but a lot of experience with Microsoft Operating systems

- Minimal exposure to Unix/Linux operating systems

- Oracle DBA certification and some SQL Server experience

- VMware experience since Workstation 7 and ESXi 4.0

My lab:

- FortiWifi 60C

- Two 3Com 2928-SFP switches

- One Hawking 24-port switch

- One Sans Digital 5 slot direct-attached storage unit with 10 TB HDD

- One Buffalo TS-RIXL2 iSCSI storage unit 2 TB HDD

- One HP dl360 g8

- 1 6-core 2.23 GHz processor

- 160 GB memory

- 3 500 GB SSD's

- 2 300 GB HDD's

- 3 older HP dl380's with old, slow QC procs and minimal (10-12 GB) memory (I don't like to boot these due to the electricity consumption and heat generation)

My plan:

- Strengthen my inadequate networking experience using the Networking for VMware Administrators book. (Currently working on the second lab scenario)

- Study the VCAP5-DCA Official Cert Guide and thoroughly understand the lessons and scenarios in that book and online

- Make use of the various study guides discussed here and other locations on the Net

My questions/concerns:

- I assume my lab is adequate (perhaps more than adequate), but any suggestions are appreciated

- Should I sit for the exam now knowing I will not pass so I can know what to expect and use that experience to better prepare?

- Since I am weak on the networking knowledge, will my plan prepare me well enough in that area for the exam?

- Would I benefit from finding someone in my area (Dallas, TX) that is interested in studying with me or is this a "Lone Wolf" project?

What else should I be asking that I'm not yet knowledgeable enough to ask?

Any help or guidance offered is appreciated.

Jeff

-

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

- I assume my lab is adequate (perhaps more than adequate), but any suggestions are appreciated

Your lab is fine, I have the environment replicated on a 32GB laptop.

- Should I sit for the exam now knowing I will not pass so I can know what to expect and use that experience to better prepare?

You could, or you could run through the Test Track 

- Since I am weak on the networking knowledge, will my plan prepare me well enough in that area for the exam?

All plans should start with the official blueprint.  Make sure you know all topics on the networking sections - find a friend and write items for each other, do all the sample questions you can find, look for networking questions people post here and on Reddit/LInkedIn etc and duplicate/solve, look for VCP questions and do/verify/solve in your environment.

and your plan

- Would I benefit from finding someone in my area (Dallas, TX) that is interested in studying with me or is this a "Lone Wolf" project?

See last answer

What else should I be asking that I'm not yet knowledgeable enough to ask?

Read all the "my DCA experience" posts - DCA510 and DCA550.

Good luck!

0 Kudos