VMware Edu & Cert Community
kenbshinn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Home Lab Recommendations

Greetings all,

I am looking for recommendations for a home lab that I would like to build to help with studying for VCAP-DCA or VCIX. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have a look here, and follow the other links in the article: VCAP Test Track (lab on a lap) | SOSTech

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have a look here, and follow the other links in the article: VCAP Test Track (lab on a lap) | SOSTech

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RyanH84
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

When I studied for my VCAP5-DCA I used Autolabs from LabGuides.

I wanted to upgrade my home PC anyway, and it was a good excuse with the wife for studying! I got a new i7 CPU, 32GB Memory and a 250GB SSD. I also had a spare 2TB drive already for extra storage for software, downloads, etc. This was more than enough for autolabs and the deployment was quick and easy to use.

Nesting a lab did have a few draw backs, setting up VM's with FT took a little more effort than they normally would. I also couldn't properly test DPM because WOL didn't work through Workstation. DirectPath and setting up passthrough devices didn't work, but luckily I had a physical host at work I could go through the process on.

It was enough for me to run 3-4 hosts and anything extra I wanted to play with to get the study done though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk