VMware Edu & Cert Community
narendran201110
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Availablity

I have 6 virtual machines which all have running same application.HA/DRS is configured.Fortunately all the virtual machines were running on same ESX server which make all the virtual machines got rebooted due to the HA event. Since all the 6 virtual machines are running same application
Need a high available solutions even ha DRS configured

Can I have some suggestion on this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You could create DRS rules at the cluster level to keep certain servers on different host. 

0 Kudos
BPjangra
Contributor
Contributor

You can setup affinity rule which will help you to keep VM running on diffirent esx hosts.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.resourcemanagement....

0 Kudos
narendran201110
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

I have 10 ESX hosts in a Cluster and HA/DRS configured.

I  want to distribute 4 Virtual machines in 2:2.All the 4 virtual machines  are running with same application.So when  we pair virtual servers  (VM1,VM2) in a single ESX hosts and pair the other virtual servers (VM3  and VM4) in a different ESXi host, If any one of the ESXi host goes down  then the two virtual servers hosting in it will be rebooted to another  ESX host.

This is the requirement

What are all the possible options can be set in order to get this solution?

Please advice

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As already mentioned in the other answers before, you will need to configure DRS rules. VM-VM affinity rules for the VM's which you want to have on the same host and VM-VM anti-affinity rules for the VM's which must not run on the same host. With these rules in place and the VMs protected by HA you will achieve your goal.

André

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

one more article here incase you're running on pre-vSphere 4.1, then would be required to setup VM-VM affinity rules:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esxi-installable-vcenter/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.resourcemanagemen...

0 Kudos