Finally , Passed DCD 5 exam at 4th attempt

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing well !!!

Here is my progress in last 8 months,

First Attempt : March 2013 - Scored 263

Second Attempt - May 2013- Scored 281

Third Attempt - Sep 2013- Scored 290

Forth and final attempt- 16th Nov 2013-  Passed - scored 321

This exam is one of the most challenging exam, I ever attempted. This tough me," Never give up, until you achieve".  It's really difficult to pass at first attempt; if you are a person new to Design. After two attempt, i got involved in several project work and whenever got opportunity to design and learn, I utilized it 100 %.

I refereed below study material :

Blueprint-

• VMware official VCAP5-DCD exam preparation guide
  • 2nd edition of the vSphere Design book. Must read book
  • HA/Clustering Deepdive book.
  • Managing and Optimizing book by Stagner and Crookston.
  • Design Workshop- It really helped me to understand design terminology

One advice I would like to give here, even though if you fail at first attempt, do not worry. Instead of worrying, convert worry time to study time and always remember, to attempt an exam itself is a win. Failure is only a stepping stone to success.

I would like to thanks everyone for helping me to pass this exam.

Regards,

Baswaraj

27 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Congratulations!

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congrats.

Ed

Taher843
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats .... 

BADSHAA
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats

Jiabao401
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats!!!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Jiabao

TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratulation !!

Take care!

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Well done, the perserversance has finally paid off.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congrats mate! It took me 3 tries too, passing this exam is surely nothing to scoff at.

What's next for you?

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
raj0044
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You all,

What is next,It would be, storage and network. I really want be very good in these two domain. After that I would go for VCDX.

0 Kudos
FerrerDeCouto
Commander
Commander

Congrats!

I passed it at the third shot.

Best regards,

JL

José Luis Gómez Ferrer de Couto Founder of PiPo e2H Blog: http://blog.e2h.net Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta fue de utilidad, por favor da el voto. Gracias. If you find this or any other answer useful, please consider awarding points. Thank you.
0 Kudos
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Third time lucky for me....

I think there may be a problem with the exam..  I don't believe that the high number of 1st and 2nd time failures is down to lack of knowledge alone..

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

I agree, this is something wrong with the exam, I just hope that VMware acknowledges there is issue and correct this.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest sending a detailed email to certification@vmware.com with what you think the specific problems with the exam are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
VRBitman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would like to attempt this exam in the near future, does VMware provide a sample exam? I would like to get an idea of what's it like. Thanks!

-- VR Bitman | http://virtualis.info | vSphere 5.5 Guide: http://goo.gl/QUqTH7 VMware professional, virtualization & FOSS evangelist, informatician, geek VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCP-DCV
0 Kudos
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congrats on the pass, I like your attitude Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Apollokreid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, raj0044

Can you tell me how you altered your approach to studying on the last attempt? Did you just focus on the areas you missed or revisit your entire plan of action?

Any help would be great!

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Congrats!

Nice to see a good success story.  I will be re-writing mine shortly as well.

The biggest problem with this exam is there is a lot of questions that are very conceptual.  So what one person things should fall into one category, another might think it will fall into another.  Compound that with a very tight time crunch and it is by far the hardest exam I have ever written as well, but you did it! and now you can relish in your success.

Congrats again!, enjoy the moment!

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Conz.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey VRBitman,

I created a simulator for first time goes and for practice