VMware Edu & Cert Community
ScottCoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed!

Hello

Unfortunately I failed my first attempt with a 262 but as these communities provided a lot of good information I thought I would chip in with how I achieved my failure Smiley Happy, hopefully someone else will find it useful.

The sources I used were:

I can confirm everything that all the other blog posts have said. This exam is tough and although 3h 45mins seems a long time, to get it all done is a big ask. The main reason for this is that the questions are very wordy. Really you want to be answering every question in less than 2 minutes, this is very hard to do. During any exam you always get told to read the question carefully and make sure you understand what they are asking. This is very true as you dont want to get caught answering what you thought they had asked but in this case you also have to read the question very fast. Then each answer can be quite lengthy too so by the time you have carefully read the question and weighed up all the answers you are probably pushing 2 minutes there. There isnt time to re-read questions so my advice: start from the bottom, read the answers first. There were a number of questions where I read then re-read the question only to find out that the very last sentence was the question and everything above could have been interchanged with any scenario. Save yourself a lot of time and read from the bottom up. Obviously if the last sentence refers to something above then carry on reading but dont automatically assume that every peace of text on the screen will be relevant to your answer.

Which brings me to the official cert guide. Although this book is a good and fairly light read, the example exam questions in this book are in no way representative of the real exam question. Be warned! The questions on the CD are all one liners. I got 95% of these correct on the first run in under an hour. The real exam questions are much longer than this.

After my exam I was very disappointed, it was a sad drive back home that day. As I was working through the exam I knew I wasnt going to make it. I expected something around the low 200's so the only glimmer of light was that I had done slightly better than I thought. The most depressing part was that I am confident with the technology but kinda new to design and looking back I couldnt think of how I could possibly improve. After that rather blue period I had a good think about my experience and Im pretty sure I can get over the 300 mark. There were whole sections I only skimmed over during my studies and those sections seem to pop up alot during the exam.

What I would ask people in this community is this. During my walk of shame back to reception to pick up my bit of paper confirming my failure there is a section at the bottom that says sections that I had "missed". Does this actually mean questions unanswered or is it a polite way of saying you got these wrong?

Ive got me exam rebooked for the end of January, fingers crossed for that and atleast I get Christmas off.

Good Luck anyone taking this exam.

Scott

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

>Does this actually mean questions unanswered or is it a polite way of saying you got these wrong?

Those are the sections you had the most incorrect marks in. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good luck for the next end of January exam..

Take care!

0 Kudos
takecoffe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don't be afraid to fail. Don't waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It's OK to fail. If you're not failing, you're not growing.( H. Stanley Judd )

Good luck

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll get it next time Scott, my commiserations.

I realize your next go is late Jan, if you read this post before your attempt, check out my post about my experience with the DCD. I failed twice and passed the third time. Everything Virtual! | My forays into Virtualization…

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

>Does this actually mean questions unanswered or is it a polite way of saying you got these wrong?

Those are the sections you had the most incorrect marks in. 

0 Kudos
ScottCoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Manny

Funnily enough I had my retake yesterday, unfortunately I failed again, this time with 275. Unlike my first attempt where I took 2 weeks off for Christmas, I did what you did, and went straight home and brain dumped as much as I could. Im going to book it again for the end of Feb to give me enough time to bed in the new stuff. I would like to ask you a few questions actually. Would it be possible to message you outside of this forum?

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that but at least your score is heading in the right direction so its all progress.  Hopefully third time lucky!

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott, that sucks. I am all too familiar with the feeling of not passing an exam. Having taken about 30 certification exams (yes I'm a cert aficionado!) and failed more than a few, I know the sinking feeling that comes with it. BUT, I see these failures as mere stumbling blocks for a greater win. If something was easily gettable, is it even worth having?!

How did you do on the Visio questions? They carry the bulks of the points on offer, I read somewhere that they carry about 50% of the points. Anyway, my point is you MUST allot 20 minutes each to them and budget your time accordingly. Quickly draw the scenario on the scrap paper you have and the put in on the exam canvas. This really worked for me. You have to be quick, did you go through all 100 questions? I had like 5 seconds left when I hit the finish button.

As for messaging me, use the pm tool in this forum or leave me a comment on my blog (linked to it a few posts up). I'm all for protecting the integrity of the exam, so please ask questions within reason. Good luck for the 3rd attempt!

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Grim192
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You may have failed but you would have gained valuable knowledge and experience from doing so, this in itself has made you stronger and one step closer to passing. You need to regroup and using your new found knowledge target your weaker areas.

0 Kudos
crawfordm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting your experience.  I always like to hear experiences of people who did not pass.  I think people that pass on the first try are design engineers in there daily jobs.  Would love to hear about your second try.

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The score report could actually do with some redesign, it is detailed enough and does not actually tell specific areas that requires further development.  It is far too generic.  Compared to other score report such Microsoft / Cisco you get a break down of the major section to give a better indication where you didn't score enough points. 

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos