VMware Edu & Cert Community
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Anybody currently doing DCD?

Hi,

I'm looking for some study peers for the VCAP DCD exam. Anybody currently studying en want to walk through some things together?

58 Replies
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's it.. Also when you create any objects that are combined eg a Vapp

with the servers and other associated things.. Or a datstore.... Any

objects that sit within objects should all move as one...

I also had an issue where I tried to move a vswitch with all its portgroups

and the system crashed on me...

I don't want to say too much due to the disclaimer... I wish you luck and

try to make sure you leave enough time to get to the end. Work as quick

as you can and skim read some of the multiple choice scenarios as the wrong

answers can be excluded quickly, so read the answers first and then read

the scenario.... Hope this helps and hope you pass....

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Hi John,

First of all, congratulations! It's nice to see your hard work succeeded. Secondly, what an exam! I havent tried it a second time yet but I'm sure in my first attempt, there was stuff not properly connected due to this "bug" you mentioned. Horrible! Since we both know how close we scored on the first attempts I think I lost points on the first exam due to not properly connecting in the Visio based questions... Makes me feel.. damn frustrated.

I'd rather wait 4 weeks for a result of the VCAP exams then this awful experience with this Visio based stuff.

0 Kudos
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm just finally glad I've got it.... Make sure you know the subject for

the multiple choice and drag and drop questions and then be sure all your

connections work and I'm sure you'll get it the next time...

I was shaking when I clicked End review and then I passed.... I honestly

think I may have walked away fro the subject if I'd failed again as I have

that little faith in the exam mechanism...

Can't wait to start on the DCA which is really my area anyway... I love

Power CLI....

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
encrypturlyf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took the exam in Nov 2013 and had it take it twice on the same day. Exam crashed when I was done with 50% of the questions. After sitting for almost 9 hours, I cleared the exam the first time I took.

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just taken the exam and failed with 289, the exam engine is horrific. 

jroyale how did you contact the VMware Cert team as I want to raise an issue- going back over my answers in the Review and some of my drag and drop answers were different to what I entered, and the design questions were also changed!  Not impressed, and not at all confident that what was marked was actually what I entered!

Thanks

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey Tom,

I recently failed my first attempt for the DCD 5.1 at VMware a few weeks ago and have been building some new study material / simulator to help people study.  I have talked with the VMware certification guys and they have given my the green light.  I am also currently talking to Paul who is one of the authors for the DCD study book.  Shoot me a PM and we can kick spit ball some study questions.

Also check out my link with the New study material a link or to down from this one.  I have been updating it daily or sub daily with hopes of having the similar done this week assuming I can get the java code to work the way I want it to (Ie as close to the way the exam works)

0 Kudos
CJK4428
Contributor
Contributor

I'd love to be a part of this, but gotta pass my DCA exam first...writing it next week.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Good luck CJK4428, let me know if you want to focus on the DCD stuff afterwards as I don't re-write till Oct.

If you want my DCA5.1 study notes shoot me a PM and I will give you the package I worked with.

0 Kudos
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would love to get your DCA package as I am going to be writing the exam in the next 2 months or so.  Message me.

0 Kudos
faheemqureshi
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

I appeared today but failed scored marks # 255

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Pushing this topic up a notch, I did some other certifications (CCNP) in between but I think I could give this another go. Anyone else up?

0 Kudos
faheemqureshi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am doing

Sent via Micromax

0 Kudos
Bill_Oyler
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the tip on checking if the "connectors" and "groupings" move together.  I've been trying to figure out if that is "supposed" to happen.  I failed the first time and I know with 100% certainty that most of my groupings did not work.  I would move a distributed vSwitch around, and the port groups would just stay behind.  I thought to myself "maybe the simulator is not smart enough to group them together" but based on your experience it sounds like it is ESSENTIAL for the objects to get grouped together... or else you lose points.  Same thing for connectors it sounds like.  Excellent tip, thanks!

Bill Oyler Systems Engineer
AC81
Contributor
Contributor

If this is true (the groupings not automatically snapping to each other) then I know where I went horrifically wrong - I didn't notice this until the very last design question.  For all the other design questions I was manually moving the objects around and lining them up.  It would be nice to know if I have dropped points due to this stupid issue!

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So I finally passed the VCAP DCD 5.1 exam yesterday and I cannot stress enough the importance of checking every connection and 'attachment' in your design questions- I had to spend 20 minutes just to correctly attach two objects in one of the questions and in two others I had to start over as the objects suddenly shot off the screen and I couldn't get them back.  My advice would be to place all your objects 'inside' the other objects as required FIRST and connect everything up last- this will leave you less work to have to re-do if it has a moment and also gives you more room to make sure everything is related as it should be.  Test EVERYTHING, cannot stress that enough!!

Secondly, there still appears to be an issue with Reviewing questions at the end of the 5.1 exam- I previously failed this exam and complained to VMware edu services that on reviewing the drag and drop questions the answers were different than the ones I gave, to which they responded with a voucher code for a free re-sit and I was advised to wait 6 weeks before retaking (though they couldn't tell me why!)  So I waited 6 weeks and took the exam yesterday and yet again this issue happened when I retook the exam yesterday- I got the invigilator in to witness the issue and logged an official complaint, so it'll be interesting to see what they come back with this time.  Please be aware that this issue exists with the 5.1 exam (isn't an issue with 5.5 I understand)- if you're taking the 5.1 flavour then I advise listing the drag and drop Q numbers and check them in the review screen- if they are different than your answers then  grab a witness and log a complaint. 

Feel free to message me for more tips for the 5.1, I'll help as much as I can.

faheemqureshi
Contributor
Contributor

I passed VCAP-DCD exam two days ago

I look forward to hear from you.

Faheem Qureshi

Virtualization Consultant

National Information Center

Distributed Systems

Office: +966 11 808 2595

Mobile: +966 5 02652492

Email: fqureshi@nic.gov.sa

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

congratulation Faheem for this achievement ..

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To anyone who's interested in taking VDCD510 before it retires at the end of January 2015, I've created a study guide and some exam tips at vmustard.com

Happy to help if anyone has any further Qs.

Martin

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

I built a simulator here as well to help with studying:

www.virtualtiers.net

Hope it helps

0 Kudos