VMware Cloud Community
dspent
Contributor
Contributor

vim.fault.InvalidLogin - Connecting to VMware vCenter Update Manager

I was put in charge of administering our LA vm infrastructure after the engineer there was let go recently. When I started to look into things, I noticed that VUM was not working properly. So after investigating we decided to reinstall VUM. The install went fine, but when you log into vSphere client an error pops up stating:

There was an error connecting to VMware vCenter Update Manager - .

vim.fault.InvalidLogin

I am not sure how to resolve this issue and you cannot enable VUM until this issue is fixed. I have checked the ODBC settings and there is no problem there with either the VUM database or the VCDB (vCenter's database) in regards to login. I read some posts here talking about a file called vci-integrity.xml having wrong IP for vCenter, it does not.... However there is a section of that file that shows what I assume is the hased version of the password for the VUM database. Tinkering with that entry and then restarting the update manager service produces a different error that refers to the password being bad so I am assuming that the problem is with the database access somehow, I just can't figure out what.

Any assistance is appreciated.

I do have a call in to VMWare support on this, but so far the best they can suggest is to upgrade vCenter to Update 1. Which I will do today, but I doubt will have any affect.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chacho
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have found a solution for this issue but I have not tested yet, so here is the solution i found:

From VMware KB:

1. Disable HA.

2. Disconnect hosts from VC.

3. Restart both agents on ESX.

4. Remove vpxuser from ESX.

Shoud be solved. please award points if it is.

0 Kudos