VMware Cloud Community
wagew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter update manager install - vcenter server not compatible?

I'm trying to install vcenter update manager. I've tried both 4.0 update 1 and 4.0 update 2. Both give me an error in the very first step of the install when i specify our vcenter server/port/username/etc. It states:

"vcenter server is incompatible with the vmware vcenter update manager you are installing"

We are running vcenter 4.1.0 (build 258902). I can't find any information on this error at all. Was hoping to find an answer here before opening an SR with vmware.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you are running vCenter 4.1, you must install VUM 4.1, which can be located on the vCenter install CD in the updateManager folder. While vCenter is a 64 bit app, VUM is not and still requires a 32bit DSN.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you are running vCenter 4.1, you must install VUM 4.1, which can be located on the vCenter install CD in the updateManager folder. While vCenter is a 64 bit app, VUM is not and still requires a 32bit DSN.

0 Kudos
wagew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah so I won't be able to install VUM on a 64-bit server. Ok that helps me understand a bit more. And I'll look for the VUM 4.1 install. Thanks much!

0 Kudos