VMware Cloud Community
Rich123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter doesn't automatically start after VUM install

I installed VUM last week and all seemed to go well.  This is a small environment so everything is on one server (vCenter 4.1, SQL Express, VUM 4.1).  I did some updates with it, so I'd say it worked.

While rebooting vCenter this weekend, the vCenter service didn't start.  In some instances I was able to start in manually, in some I wasn't.  The DependOnService for SQL is already present.

Before the VUM install, reboots worked fine.

In doing some troubleshooting today, it looked like it might be related to the 32-bit DSN.  I started over and before actually installing VUM, just did a reboot after creating the 32-bit DSN.  The vCenter service failed to start--so I was hopeful (?) that I was onto something.

I don't know much about SQL so I'm hoping Im over-looking something simple.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Have you checked out the vCenter logs?

C:\Users\All Users\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

Make sure you don't have anything else running on port 80.

Run "netstat -abo"  Without vCenter running you shouldn't see any traffic coming in to port 80.

0 Kudos
ab_lal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not really sure but you would have to give enough time for SQL Server to start, then verify its dependant services are started or not. Then start vcenter and other services.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

one thing I would look at is Service dependancies.  verify that the vCenter server will not attempt to start before the SQL instance is up and running.

to do this open regedit and navigate to the following key;    (find the sevice name that virtual cetner is running under – vpxd in this case)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd

Verify that the below is in the section "Depend on Service" key

ProtectedStorage
lanmanworkstation

MSSQLSERVER
ADAM_VMwareVCMSDS

If not open and modify the “Depend on Service” Multi-String and append the following (this is specific to my environment, but basically the Adam for vmware and sqlserver)

MSSQLSERVER
ADAM_VMwareVCMSDS

once this is done, on next reboot the virtual center service will wait for its dependencies to start before it tries to start itself.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Rich123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank-you for the suggestions.  I've confirmed there is nothing else running on port 80.  I also had the service dependencies already entered.  I also tried a startup script with a lengthy delay as discussed here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/160896.

I've reverted to a pre-VUM image now and still see the issue on some reboots.

I've noted that the windows firewall may have been causing some issues so I've disabled that and I'm now testing by rebooting and seeing if the service starts.  I noted when the service failed to start (and the firewall was off) that there was 1 failure audit in the application log after reboot as follows:
login failed for user "NT Authority\system". [client: <local machine>]   event id 18456
source MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM

I checked the SQL log and found Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 16 which means "Login valid, but not permissioned to use the target database" based on http://www.eraofdata.com/blog/2009/01/loginfailures/

I could do some more digging on that, but as I've said, I don't know too much about SQL.

After two reboots in which the service didn't start, I manually started the service and continued with reboots.  I've had 4 successful reboots now with the firewall off.  On the most recent reboot, I stopped the vcenter service before initiating the reboot and it did start back up after rebooting.

If there are any other suggestions, please post them.  I'm not convinced yet so more testing to continue tomorrow.  I plan to turn the windows firewall back on tomorrow and add the sql express exe as an exception to see if that changes anything.

0 Kudos
Rich123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe my issues are gone, maybe not.

I ended up reinstalling vCenter and also not using the system account for the virtual center service.  The service did fail to start after the first reboot after VUM was installed.  I started it manually and rebooted a few days later.  It did start then.  I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

I'm done messing with it though.  If it doesn't start, it will just be an annoyance that requires a manual start.

0 Kudos