Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Update Manager - scan / remediation unsupported unknown OS

Hi

Background

I am running a small VMware lab on a couple of HP G5 servers, comprising:

- 2x ESXi hosts (4.1.0, 260247)

- 1x vCenter VM (4.1.0, 258902) - resident on same ESXi platform

- 1x VMware Update Manager VM (4.1.0.5142, c.f. vCenter plugin manager) - resident on same ESXi platform

The plugin is functioning correctly according to vCenter Service Status page and the plugin manager.

Issue

However, the problem I am encountering is that whenever I scan a virtual machine, I am told: "Patch scan or remediation is not supported on because of unsupported or unknown OS ." The scanning of ESXi hosts and scanning a VM for vmware tools and virtual hardware compliance works fine.

I have checked over the hosts, vCenter and Update manager setup and all seems fine. I have checked the virtual machines' tools and they are up-to-date. The operating systems in question include, CentOS v5.5, Windows 2008 Std edition, Windows 2008 R2 Std edition and Windows 7 Professional. vCenter is reporting the operating system and the VMware tools correctly. The vCenter, ESXi and Update Manager were all installed as v4.1 and not upgraded from 4.0.

I am currently re-reading the Update Manager document - although with little expectation of finding a resolution.

Anyone else suffer from this?

Thanks.

William

---

I should add that the network between the ESXi hosts, Update Manager and vCenter is not firewalled - all three entities sit in the same LAN / layer-2 network.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Margarita
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi William,

You can find the information about the OS compatibility with Update Manager in the vSphere Compatibility Matrixes document at: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf.

Hope this helps,

M.

jwhoakley
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Margarita.

Indeed, there doesn't appear to be a great deal other than Microsoft Windows Server which is supported by VUM v4.1.

0 Kudos
jwhoakley
Contributor
Contributor

Going to test out Windows 2003 R2 Server compatibility.

0 Kudos