VMware Cloud Community
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Update Manager IP address

Hi Folks,

Recently we had a controller failure on our HP DL360 G5 server and OS won't boot as disks are unavailable. We manage to install vCenter Server 5.U 3 quickly on a spare server lying nearby and point to existing DB. The new server retained the old server IP as we dont want to make IP changes which would affect our client connectivity.

I have reinstalled Update Manager from scratch and get option to provide vCenter IP and login details and all looks normal, except when i install plugin and hit configuration tab, the IP address shown is Old IP the spare server had and doesn't show the IP that i expect. To put it in details

VC1 - 192.168.170.101

VC1-DR - 192.168.170.102

VC1 crashed and we got VC1-DR up quickly, changed ip address to 192.168.170.101 and installed vCenter Server. Update Manager for some reason shows me 192.168.170.102 where as i expect .101.

I have followed instructions on KB 101322 and extension.xml has right ip (.101) and cannot figure out where this IP is stored. Appreciate any advise that might help me to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to find out the cause of this issue.

There was a static host entry of vCenter DR and Old IP. Once removed, reinstalled VUM and all happy now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ather_Beg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you tried running VMwareUpdateManagerUtility?  If not, it's placed in Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager.  Try "Re-register to vCenter Server" and see if that works.

Ather

0 Kudos
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

tried that without luck, still showing same ip.

0 Kudos
Ather_Beg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you checked if the wrong IP has been removed from the Advanced settings of your NIC?

0 Kudos
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I have verified it and cannot find wrong IP anywhere under advanced settings of management NIC.

0 Kudos
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to find out the cause of this issue.

There was a static host entry of vCenter DR and Old IP. Once removed, reinstalled VUM and all happy now.

0 Kudos
Ather_Beg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to know!  So, it was networking in the end - just a different place! 🙂

0 Kudos