VMware Cloud Community
bradelms
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server 6.7 fails to load Updates Tab for a VM

I updated a VM's Hardware to match host first. After that completed, I went to update the VMware Tools to match host but now I get a red bar with a message stating

An unexpected error has occurred.

Every time I go to the Updates tab for this VM, I get this message. I also get this message when I go to the Host and click the Updates tab >  VMware tools. IF I move the VM off this host and then go back to the Updates tab of the host, it works fine and tells me an overview of what VMs need updates for VMware Tools.

I was able to update the VMware tools of this VM by clicking an update now link in the summary tab of the VM. I confirmed the newer version on the VM via server itself. This errror though still remains for this VM. I have restarted the upgrade manager service in the VMware Appliance but sadly no luck.

I have attached some screenshots of this error. Any ideas on a solution?

30 Replies
neilgreen
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue with all VMs, but restarting the Update Manager service on the VCSA worked for me.  We recently had to free up space on the SEAT partition which was getting full, so maybe this had caused it to stop functioning properly until the service was restarted.

0 Kudos
DavidGee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bill

to confirm i have the same symptoms using SRM 8.1.2 with VCSA 6.7 U3

i have an open support ticket with vmware so will provide more info once i get an update.

0 Kudos
ericdamwhite37
Contributor
Contributor

I've experienced the same problem if you login to your VCSA appliance https://vcentername.com:5480 click on Services and select VMware Vsphere Update Manager and click restart. This worked for me.

8bitsme
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, this worked for me.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

a curiosity, have you tried to perform a "Storage vmotion"?

I would do this test if it is possible: rename the VM, do a "Storage vMotion". Then rename it to the old name and run "Storage vMotion" on the previous host again. It's a little cumbersome but it could fix things.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
trailmug
Contributor
Contributor

For me, the solution was enabling time/NTP sync through the VAMI and rebooting the VCSA.

0 Kudos
SteveHop
Contributor
Contributor

Check your user permissions. I had this problem after playing with VIC and found that I had been removed from the Administrator role

0 Kudos
sclaytonga
Contributor
Contributor

Restarting VCSA worked for me as well.

0 Kudos
JLawrence919
Contributor
Contributor

I had to change the name of my vcenter appliance and everything related to "updates" came up with  "an unexpected error has occurred" after the name change

This is what solved my issue as noted earlier in this thread:

@vFantastic wrote:

Just fixed this issue. We had to re-register the update manager extension and change ownership of the integrity xml file as it loses its permissions and defaults to root/root.

1. Take a snapshot

2. SSH to the VCSA

3. Run the following to re-register the extension:

/usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/vmware-vciInstallUtils -C /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/ -L /var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/ -I /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/ -v YOURVCSAFQDN -p 80 -U administrator@vsphere.local -P 'REALPASSWORDHERE' -S /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/extension.xml -O extupdate

4. The file vci-integrity.xml only has root user permissions. Give ownership to updatemgr.

cd /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin

chown updatemgr:updatemgr vci-integrity.xml

5. reboot server

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Niyot1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seems to be an issue with the HTML GUI.  I  simply  logged out and back in to resolve the issue.   This worked for me.  So try that first.

0 Kudos
Copyninja88
Contributor
Contributor

This really worked for me thanks alot 

0 Kudos