VMware Cloud Community
register
Contributor
Contributor

update manager plugin keeps getting unloaded

I get this message every day (sometimes twice).

"Your session with the VMWare Update Manager Server is no longer valid. The VMWare Update Manager client plugin will be unloaded from VI Client."

Then I have to go in and re-enable the plugin.

Anybody else seen this, or know how to prevent it?

All other console features seem to work, except I must say that 2.5 is much slower than 2.0, at least for me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
CLowe
Contributor
Contributor

Only twice a day? I'm lucky if the plugin keeps running for 15 minnutes. It makes it very difficult to get anything accomplished with it.

Oh...and the update from u2 to u3 did not make any difference.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> Thanks for that - I was just about to try update 3, but maybe I won't bother now.

Well that's a rather restricted reason NOT to upgrade for one little issue. And as far as it "not staying connected" you only need to select your server for remediation, and click 'update now' and it takes it from there, you don't need the plug-in for that.

VC 2.5 U3 has much more to offer... You can't be afraid of one wittle itty bitty plugy-wuggy are you? Don't be afwaid of da little plug in... If you are, you really shouldn't be a tech.

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

We have upgraded to Update 3, and we still have the same issue.

Hope someone have a solution soon.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What I tend to do is install the VI client on the VC and enable these plugins only here, so only one instance of them both are running. If any admin tasks are required using these plugin they then must be done via the VC. I have never had the plugin for update manager unload, maybe have loads of instances of the plugin running has caused this!

0 Kudos
oxinet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that - I was just about to try update 3, but maybe I won't bother now.

Well that's a rather restricted reason NOT to upgrade for one little issue. And as far as it "not staying connected" you only need to select your server for remediation, and click 'update now' and it takes it from there, you don't need the plug-in for that.

VC 2.5 U3 has much more to offer... You can't be afraid of one wittle itty bitty plugy-wuggy are you? Don't be afwaid of da little plug in... If you are, you really shouldn't be a tech.

Well after such sweet talking, how could I refuse? :smileygrin:

Upgraded ... installed update plugin U3 .... still got the same problem Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmmmm I guess we'll need to wait until:

"The fix is scheduled for the next VirtualCenter update (U4)." (as per VMWare Technical Support)

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
alex555550
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hy,

simple test.Unistall VIC and the update plugin. Remove any vmware fodler in the registry, and also remove all vmware folderes on C:\..

Maybe there is rubbish out there from older versions.

0 Kudos
Kingofbytes
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Zippy!

I use the exact same methodology as you. That is to keep any plug-ins only on the VC server and administer those plug ins from there. From what I've read:

1. Update 3 doesn't solve the problem

2. I am still on Update 2, and based on my statement to you above, I STILL have the "unloadng" problem (on the VC).

If anyone has gotten any information from VMware Tech Support, please post it here....even if it's only an estimate time frame for resolution.

Take care>>>Dustin

0 Kudos
makking
Contributor
Contributor

After weeks of research in the forums about how important it is to apply Updates, yesterday I finally updated our VC from 2.5 Build 64201 to Update 3, build 119598. Now I am getting your same issue of UM unloading out of the blue - it never happened in Build 64201. Am I mistaken, or does it appear that VMware QA needs a boot in their back pocket...

0 Kudos
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue, but trying this: (saw it in a different posting).

I'll update if it works.

jandie

Message was edited by: jandie

UPDATE: ABOVE KB DID NOT SOLVE OUR ISSUE. OPENED AN SR - STILL WAITING

0 Kudos
stahlgrau
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. It seems worse since moving to U3. I have tried uninstalling McAfee, and removing all installs of the Update Manager plugin from Add/Remove Programs on the client PC, then reinstalling the plugin. Nothing seems to help. I guess I just have to wait until U4 comes out.

0 Kudos
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quick Update:

I opened an SR and at the end of it, this is what the agent wrote

"There is currently an issue with that plugin that causes it to become disabled. The only workaround at this point is to reenable the plugin manually before using update manager to scan or remediate a patch. This should not affect other operations in VC. This is in the release notes for update 3 here: http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vum_10u3_rel_notes.html

This problem is being worked on now and will be resolved in Update 4. Unfortunately I do not have a firm date for that release at this time."

It doesn't help much, but at least it's a known issue.

jandie 

0 Kudos