VMware Cloud Community
Dentifrice1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update manager 4 and esx 3.5

Hi,

simple question....

I'm planning to upgrade my infrastructure 3 to vsphere.

I will upgrade virtual center 2.5 to vcenter server 4.0. The problem is, I can't upgrade all my ESX servers to 4.0 in a near future.

So, for a few months, I will have two esx 4.0 servers and several 3.5 (there is no interaction between servers (no vmotion, DRS...). Only "standalone" servers in virtual center).

My question is, with Update manager 4.0, will I still be able to push update to esx3.5 servers ? Or it can only update 4.0 servers ?

I'm not talking about Guest updates, only hosts.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, as long as you have 3.5 Hosts in your inventory, you can continue to scan, remediate and patch them.

For scanning and remediation Update Manager works with the following ESX/ESXi versions.

For virtual machine patching operations, Update Manager works with ESX 3.5 and later and ESX 3i version

3.5 and later.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_vum_40_admin_guide.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, as long as you have 3.5 Hosts in your inventory, you can continue to scan, remediate and patch them.

For scanning and remediation Update Manager works with the following ESX/ESXi versions.

For virtual machine patching operations, Update Manager works with ESX 3.5 and later and ESX 3i version

3.5 and later.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_vum_40_admin_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

one other thing to keep in mind.... VUM utilizes DRS when you remidiate a host. So, if you want to patch using VUM, and you have no vmotion, you will need to power down all your VM's first to get your host into maintenance mode.

petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Dentifrice1,

as long as your 3.5 hosts are not part of the cluster you can do whatever VUM operation with them like you did them before with the older VUM. No worries

thanks,

Petko

Dentifrice1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

good news

thank you all for your answers !

0 Kudos