VMware Cloud Community
krismortensen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update guest os

All-

I am trying to find a good update management solution for my environment. The environment is over 95% virtualized, and I am hoping to find a solution that will "push" updates to hosts and guest vms in a controlled fashion. My thought process is this: if Update Manager can do guest OS updates (can it?) then I can use PowerShell to script pushing updates to all of my vms (i can build in dependencies this way; aka, server A must install updates, and power back on completely before server B gets its updates). My questions are as follows: Can Update Manager do guest OS updates? if yes, then where can I find a detailed PowerShell guide for Update Manager that covers updating  both guests and hosts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

You can use VUM for the Hosts and then use vCenter Protect for your guests and templates

As for vSphere5, VUM can no longer do patch management of your guests.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

You can use VUM for the Hosts and then use vCenter Protect for your guests and templates

As for vSphere5, VUM can no longer do patch management of your guests.

0 Kudos
SantoshKumar36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In vSphere 5 , guest OS cannot be patched.The option has been removed. Better for Guest OS - you can configure the relevent patching servers.

Santosh K | If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points.
0 Kudos