VMware Cloud Community
tctatum
Contributor
Contributor

database password change used by update manager

I have migrated our VI client database to a new 2005 sql server and had to update the password that was used for the VI client to connect on the old database for various reasons. Now when you launch the VI client I am getting an error relating to the fact that Update Manager is having trouble authenticating with the new VI Client database location. The System DNS entry was updated, but I am sure that I need to update the password used by Update Manger like I had to do for the VI Client using the "vpxd.exe -p" command to update the database password. Does anyone know if something similar exists for Update Manager or have any ideas on how to change the password used for Update Manager after moving the database?

There is a registry entry with what appears to be the password, but it is encrypted, so you must have to use a tool to generate it. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tctatum
Contributor
Contributor

Issue has been resolved. The issue was two fold. 1) I needed to install the SQL Native Client and use that to setup the ODBC connection. After which, I could successfully repair the Update Manager install which walked me through giving the system a new password. After completing these two steps all services are back online. Thanks,

0 Kudos