VMware Cloud Community
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cannot upgrade ESX4 to ESX 4 Update1

Hi,

After upgrading Vcenter 4 to vCenter 4 Update1 and putting the ESX 4 Update 1 iso into the Update Manager repository

i created a baseline..when trying to remdiate my ESX 4 hosts, im gettin the following error:

Upgrade is not supported from host version 4.0.0 build 175625 to release version 4.0.0 update 1

Build 208167

and

0 Kudos
48 Replies
chilow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a KB out there that shows the methods of updating ESX 4.0 to ESX 4.0 Update 1. VUM is not on the list. I was able to update our test ESX servers from the 4.0 base build to 4.0 update 1 using VUM. Our production ESX servers are on build 175625 and it doesn’t appear to work with VUM.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1016209&sl...

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your point. I thought you meant the .zip updater was pulled, which it obviously was not.

Ok, so that confirms it: VMware is out to make our lives more difficult and theirs easier by simply not supporting a VUM update path. I'm glad that even though I'm a Dell customer, I'm still disadvantaged by HP problems. 😛

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Smiley Happy

I guess I can see their point - using VUM or a patch depot people could pretty much just upgrade to U1 automatically without realising about the HP issues.

With the zip update - it would have to be a very conscious decision - and they'd most likely have seen one of the warnings re the HP Agents if they had downloaded it recently.

Dinny

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware has just posted ESX 4.0 Update 1A to address the HP issue and it shows up in VUM and the patch download site. Case closed! Smiley Wink

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101607...

EDIT: My host scanning errors are gone as well, so were obviously related. Whew!

Message was edited by: donikatz

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to confirm what you were all speculating. Update 1 was pulled temporarily from Update Manager. Those that had downloaded the metadata before it was pulled, would have it show in their repository. Any attempted remediations would then fail because the VIB files would not be available for download. For customer's that had reinstalled Update Manager or had not run the metadata download, Update 1 would not have shown in their repository at all. Anyways, Update 1 should now be available for use with Update Manager.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

4.0 GA to 4.0 U1 is not considered an upgrade by VUM.

The base iso for 4.0 U1 is only meant to work with fresh installs and VUM based upgrades from 3.x hosts to 4.0 U1. 4.0 GA host cannot be upgraded to 4.0 U1 using VUM's host upgrade baseline. That is why VUM reported error like incompatible host -- because the host is not at the right version (3.x) suitable for upgrade.

To "update" 4.0 GA host to 4.0 U1, use the new patch available for ESX.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
davver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Beste,

Ik ben afwezig tot en met 27 december 2009 en zal uw mail pas nadien kunnen behandelen.

Voor dringende zaken kan u contact opnemen met mijn collega Mark Meutermans op het nummer: +32 (0)3 457 57 77 of via mail: mmeutermans@aurelium.be<mailto:mmeutermans@aurelium.be>.

Dear, I can't answer your message because I am out of the office until the 27th of december 2009.

Your mail will not be answered before this date. For urgent matters you can always contact my colleague Mark Meutermans on this number: +32 (0)3 457 57 77 or via mail: mmeutermans@aurelium.be.

Regards, Davy
0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I use UMDS, but downloaded the Complete Update 1 .zip before seeing this updated thread. How can I integrate the .zip file I downloaded into my VUM repository without redownloading into my UMDS source repo (or, how can I use the .zip file to directly update my ESX hosts?) I have an urgent need to get my hosts upgraded.

Thanks!

(Update)

I see the esxupdate command earlier in this thread. I will try that, perhaps this will lead UMDS users in the direction of this thread.

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Proden,

After spending hours figuring what's wrong with VUM, I manage to get my ESX upgraded. Instruction and frustrations is posted here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1549703#1549703

0 Kudos