VMware Cloud Community
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cannot upgrade ESX4 to ESX 4 Update1

Hi,

After upgrading Vcenter 4 to vCenter 4 Update1 and putting the ESX 4 Update 1 iso into the Update Manager repository

i created a baseline..when trying to remdiate my ESX 4 hosts, im gettin the following error:

Upgrade is not supported from host version 4.0.0 build 175625 to release version 4.0.0 update 1

Build 208167

and

0 Kudos
48 Replies
mattpendleton
Contributor
Contributor

We also followed ITCORESYS with 100% success. Thank you!

Go Gators!

Go Gators!
0 Kudos
YoMarK
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem, I only see U1 for ESX4i in VUM.

I've manually installed updates/patches for years, so that would probably work, but i've got other things to do that installing patches on ESX all-day. Thats why we got VUM.

Vmware: Please provide a fix asap.

0 Kudos
Tigerstolly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Patched a number of hosts in this datacenter using VUM, and then patched VUM later on. Then couldn't patch the remaining two hosts to U1 because VUM U1 breaks U1.

Go Vmware QA. At least it hasn't timed out yet.

Had to patch the remaining hosts using the manual method described by ITCORESYS.

0 Kudos
eswindelles
Contributor
Contributor

I also am not getting the "complete update" as a downloaded option. I only get the ESXi option. An trying to create a baseline off of the Update 1 ISO says that it is not a supported upgrade. Patching manually defeats the purpose....sooo...?

0 Kudos
mattpendleton
Contributor
Contributor

We have 6 hosts and it went really smoothly if you can afford some downtime. I realize it is a bit unusual to do it this but I'm sure at some point VMware will fix the error. I am assuming there is also a way with VUM to update the VMware Tools and I know I will hope to get that done but this method worked.

We have HP Proliant DL360G6s without the Insight Management Agents installed and had no issues.

Go Gators!

Go Gators!
0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem here of course. Reinstalled VUM a few times today including DB from scratch before I found this thread. In my case I also get an error when trying to scan the 4.0 hosts (although the scan completes) -- is that expected until I manually update to ESX U1? Thanks

0 Kudos
ITCORESYS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im beginning to wonder if VMWare, in their infinite wisdom instead expects the ESX 4 U1 update to download to the repository of a VUM 4, NON U1. Seems like some people see the update in their repository for VUM 4 but not VUM 4 U1.

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well wouldn't that be bassackward. Not the end of the world since 4.0 thankfully introduced esxupdate bundles (esp for those of us who remember the 2.x chain scripting days), but still more troubling QC issues...

0 Kudos
SomeClown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I've gone around and around with this. We updated our VUM, Client, and VC to U1 (though the VC upgrade was a bit dodgy and we had to MacGyver our way through that... upgrade script didn't like our service user running as sysadmin in SQL, but wouldn't let us pass when we took it off, so we flipped the permissions half-way through the script and that did the trick.) As for ESX, however, the ESX update 1 reports as incompatible in VUM, and when we try to do the manual process we get: "Requested VIB rpm_vmware-esx-vmkernel64_4.0.0-1.9.208167@i386 conflicts with the host." Bottom line at this point is that we have all ESX servers sitting at 175625 with no apparent way forward to U1.

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

when we try to do the manual process we get: "Requested VIB rpm_vmware-esx-vmkernel64_4.0.0-1.9.208167@i386 conflicts with the host." Bottom line at this point is that we have all ESX servers sitting at 175625 with no apparent way forward to U1.

Well that's odd... and unrelated to VUM, of course. Do you see this error with all your hosts and are they currently on the latest pre-U1 patch levels? I haven't seen any problems with manual esxupdates.

0 Kudos
SomeClown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup... same behaviour on all hosts. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the VEM patch level, though that's all been remediated by VUM with everything else (a process which has worked amazingly well up until Update 1.) I'll probably file a ticket with support as soon as it bothers me enough... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
eswindelles
Contributor
Contributor

Last night I applied all patches, critical and non-critical, that VUM was asking for on my hosts. I was thinking maybe that one or more of them was a prerequisite to having success with the U1 upgrade. But, it still won't let me upgrade to U1 through an upgrade baseline with the ISO for U1. And, my patch repository still only has the U1 upgrade for ESXi, not ESX.

0 Kudos
joshp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you were to look at the patches contained in the default "Critical Host Patches" patch baseline you will find "VMware ESXi 4.0 Update 1". However, you will not find the ESX patch "VMware ESX 4.0 Complete Update 1"--it is not listed as a critical patch. Now if you look at the second default patch baseline called "Non-Critical Host Patches" you will find the ESX update "VMware ESX 4.0 Complete Update 1" and not the ESXi version.

My point is that do not expect to find both ESXi and ESX 4.0 Update 1 patches in the "Critical Host Patches" patch baseline. ESXi is listed as critical and ESX is listed as non-critical.

VCP 3, 4 www.vstable.com
0 Kudos
eswindelles
Contributor
Contributor

No, actually, its not there. The ESX patch has not been downloaded for me and for a number of other people in this thread.

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct, it's not there at all, period. Can anyone who did see this please confirm if they were running vCenter 4.0 or had already upgraded to 4.0 U1? Would be interesting to test ITCORESYS's hypothesis about 4.0 users seeing it, but 4.0 U1 users not. I already upgraded to 4.0 U1 and don't see it. Thanks

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hasn't the ESX 4 u1 upgrade patch been removed from the list of available downloads on the vmware site due to the issues with the HP Agent?

If that is the case - then it has presumably also been removed from the list of patches available for download via VUM.

So I would have guessed that the only people who would see it in VUM are those that happened to download it before it was pulled?

There are no known issues with the ESX 4i u1 patch - so that is presumably why that is available for all via VUM

Dinny

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No ESX 4.0 U1 hasn't been pulled, they've just posted a bold link the the kb article for HP customers.

0 Kudos
chilow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They have pulled it from the VUM download source.

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is that a guess or is that confirmed by VMware?

If true, why the heck would they do that if they still offer the direct download? Just to make things confusing and more difficult?

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you - as far as I can tell the patch for ESX 4 u1 has been pulled.

I've just searched for patches for ESX 4 - the U1 patch is not available in the list produced

If I search for ESX 4i patches - the U1 patch is available in the list produced.

I appreciate the base ESX 4 U1 iso has not been pulled - but the patch has.

That is because doing a fresh install of ESX 4 u1 causes no issues - wheras applying the patch does.

Dinny

0 Kudos