VMware Cloud Community
EEERRR
Contributor
Contributor

Which version of Update Manager works with vCenter Appliance 5.0.0.3324 build 472350?

Hi,

The title says it all, which version of Update Manager works with vCenter Appliance 5.0.0.3324 build 472350?

I remember when I did the VCP training that we used vCenter appliance and installed the update manager on it without any problem.

The update manager I have comes from VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.0.0-639890.iso. When trying to install, at the vCenter configuration screen, I get "The vCenter Server is incompatible with the VMware vSphere Update Manager you are installing. Please select a compatible vCenter Server."

So, I take it my version of vUM is too new. Is is possible to get an earlier version?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi and Welcome.

VMware Update Manager can’t be installed in the VCSA, you have to use an additional Windows based VM or physical server.

Might in VCP training had vcenter installed based on windows that support VMware Update Manager

GL

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
timdow
Contributor
Contributor

I am also trying to install Update Manager from Vmware-VIMSetup-all-5.0.0-639890.iso, and have the VCenter Appliance 5.0.0 build 472350.  I am attempting to install Update manager on a 2008 R2 64 bit Server VM.  When I attempt to connect to the VCenter Appliance, I get an error box saying:

"The vCenter Server is incompatible with the VMware vSphere Update manager you are installing.  Please select a compatible vCenter Server."

Both the products are 5.0.  Do I need a different build number for the Update manager?

0 Kudos
timdow
Contributor
Contributor

This turned out to be an incompatibility due to Vcenter Virtual Appliance being 5.0.0 and the version of Update Manager  being U1 (Update1).  Vcenter 5.0.0 Update1 won't be available for a while, so I downoaded VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.0.0-456005.iso and it works, I presume becuase this version is not U1.

0 Kudos