VMware Cloud Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Web client Update Manager Tab

i loaded the web client.

installed update manager on vcenter server (small # of VMs)

i see the events that that update manager checked for downloads (attached)

but I do not see the Update Manager tab under the monitor tab (red arrow in attached screen) in the client..

I have administrator priv, so I do not think that is an issue,,

any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

However, beginning with the next release of vSPhere, the traditional vSphere client will go away and only the web client will be used.

Although the plans are to drop the Windows Client in the future, I'm pretty sure VMware will either integrate Update Manager in the Web Client or still ship the Windows Client until all plugins are available for the Web Client.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have update manager tab in web client. Please open the vSphere client to get the update manager tab in vSphere 5.1

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Which version of VC and update manager is this happening on?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is v5.1, build 947673.

I can see Update Manager in the traditional vSphere client.

However, beginning with the next release of vSPhere, the traditional vSphere client will go away and only the web client will be used.

So, I need to figure out this issue update manager not appearing in the web client.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although the plans are to drop the Windows Client in the future, I'm pretty sure VMware will either integrate Update Manager in the Web Client or still ship the Windows Client until all plugins are available for the Web Client.

André

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is the 5.1.0b build and VUM plugin will not work for this VC. You need to have 5.1 Update 1.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok,,  so, update 1 will then get me full Update Manager functioanliry in the web clinet? it here an upgrade to the web client server required as well?

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nope. The functionality is only to view compliance/scan/attach baselines. You cant remediate, create baselines, change the vum settings etc. So... its pretty basic and you would still need the vsphere client vum plugin to do the majority of the tasks.

Also the web client needs to be upgraded to 5.1 Update 1 as well.

Regards

Girish

stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok,

then this goes back to Andrés comment that VMware will probably continue with the traditional client until the web client supports all functions of the plugin for Update Manager as well as all functions for other plugins??

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Correct.

Regards

Girish