VMware Cloud Community
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere client unable to connect to vm host.

I have installed free version esxi5.

I have the vsphere client version 5.

So I have Vsphere client installed on my local machine ( Win7 Pro ) and also on my Server 2003.

No problems for the last months.

As of last week, I can no longer connect to vmhost from my Win7Pro machine.

( telnet to port 902 is good)

I installed vsphere client 5.0 on and XP machine, again no connection.

However on my server 2003, I can connect just fine.

Does any one know what the issue is?  I have stop and restarted management service.

I sure would hate for my server 2003 to be the only way I can connect to my vm host.

I can still ssh and /rdp to all vm guests on that host.

Error message is:  vsphere client could not connect to "192.168.21.111"  Unknown connection occurred. ( request failed becuase of connection failure) Unable to connect to remote server.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

were there any updates/changes for the AV or firewall installed lat week. Often some Endpoint protection suites cause such issues and since the issue does not occur on a server this might be a client setting/policy!?

André

dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

I am sure that there are some windows updates.

We use AVG and not Norton.  I have installed vsphere client on a few other systems, xp win7 32 bit etc..  no connection.

If I use a 3rd party application such as Veeam fast scp, I will get remote server actively refuse connection,

However at the I have open all ports of the host firewall.

Message was edited by: dnguyen6210

0 Kudos
SatishRayala
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

DO you installed any Legacy version VI clients?Pls check.

Pls install certificate in Trusted root certificate authorities and Give Expections in Proxy...

Pls provide any more additional data to solve the issuie quick.

Regards

Satish Rayala

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

Not at all, no vi clients older than version 5.

Everything was working fine until about a week ago. So I am planning to shut down all vms and reboot ESXi server.

Not sure what you mean by “Pls install certificate in Trusted root certificate authorities and Give Expections in Proxy”

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd be surprised if rebooting the host would change anything, since the connection from the Windows 2003 server works!?

Are you able to connect to the ESXi host's web site and logon there to e.g. browse the datastore?

André

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

No, I can not access the web interface.

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

I can however do that ( connect to the ESXi host's web site and logon there to e.g. browse the datastore ) on the server 2003 machine mentioned previously.

I have tried to install the same version of vi clients on many other machines as a sanity check, but all failed to connect.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me this definitely looks like a firewall or proxy issue (on the client OS's) blocking port 443 which is used for the vSphere Client as well as the ESXi host's web site. Please double check.

André

Message was edited by: a.p.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... are the clients running in different subnet than the ESXi host and the Windows 2003 server?

André

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean the vmware host firewall?

Or my windows firewall?

Because I allow “all” through vm host firewall and turned off windows firewall.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since the Windows 2003 server can connect, I would rule out any issues with the ESXi host's firewall. I rather think it's something on the clients or on your network if the clients need to e.g. go through a router.

André

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

No, the clients and ESXi host are on the same 192.168.21.xx subnet.

The server however is on the 192.168.23.xx subnet.

I think windows updates must have done something, since server 2003 updates are downloaded but not installed.

All none server have updates automatically downloaded and installed.

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

I also believe it is something on the clients, since our network is a simple Cisco 6500 L3 switch with multiple vlans and an static route, no routers so not routing protocols.

Something has changed, so I strong believe it is Windows update.

0 Kudos
dnguyen6210
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys!

So it was .NET kb2600217==> Under Client Profile Windows Update.

Uninstalled it and all was good again.

0 Kudos