VMware Cloud Community
Judgement
Contributor
Contributor

Vendor Customized ESXi Image and critical patching

Hello.

I would like some advice and guidance on the scenario below...

Scenario:

ESXi Vendor Customized Image installed on hosts

Updates to this customized image are released by the vendor on approx a 6 monthly basis

I would like to capture any critical patch releases by VMware and apply them immediately using vUM (not waiting for the Vendors release)

Question:

Can I apply the critical ESXi patch releases from VMware to the Vendor Customized install safely using vUM? I.E. The update will not over-right or delete any drivers installed by the vendor release?

My preference is to use vUM rather than a command line update if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Judgement
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link. Very useful. There is a mention re: patching the OEM ESXi image with vUM at the end so think I may be ok. Think I'll have to test.

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'n not sure about other vendors, but HPE release separate bundle for drivers and utilities with each VMware update (excluding patches) which you can download and install.

All you need to download required bundle from below download link, you can upload to Update manager repository > create baseline and you can remediate.

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04430318

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly.