VMware Cloud Community
Chop12
Contributor
Contributor

VUM on the same VM as vCenter

Hi All,

Has anyone got any thoughts on installing VUM on the same VM as vCenter. The VUM admin guide states this is not best practice as a reboot can cause patch deployment issues?!? Although in table 2-4 in shows both running on the same VM,,

I'm using SQLexpress for the vCenter DB and was planning to just select SQLexpress again for VUM.

Or should I create another VM and install VUM separately?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

We run VUM and the VC on the same host, but it is a physical server.

I'd imagine that if you run them on the same VM, just make sure to manually move the VC to a new host before you patch the host hosting it, this would eliminte any issues with patches being deployed while the vCentre moves.

If it was not supported, VMware would make this clear . . it is simply not recomended (my guess is that if your environment is relatively small . . you will never run into issues)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
Chop12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks bulletprooffool,

I doubt we'll get more that 3 hosts and certainly no more than 70 VM's. The plan is to move VC then upgrade the host as you've suggested.

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

It is OK to install on a one machine with SQL express in your case. You should not have any problems at all.

Chop12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks petkom.

0 Kudos
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

just make sure not to mix the databases

Jose B Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Chop12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks jbruelasdgo, but as it's the sql express install, doesn't it just install an instance along with the VC DB on C:\ ?? When I installed VC I did but D:\ as the path, but SQLexpress goes to C:\ as part of Vmwares build does it not. (well that what I read)

cheers

ps. Is it possible to move the DB now it's been installed, I know full SQL can but don't know much about express?

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chop,

there shouldn't be any problems to do that. You can probably run DBCC CHECKDB to be certain that the db is structurally consistent.

thanks,

petko

0 Kudos
Chop12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi petkom,

So are you saying that the DB can be moved to D:\, how? Is there a sqlcmd command that moves it?

Cheers

edit : is this how to do it?

Once you have the management studio you will need to Detach the SQL database. (right click database > Tasks > Detach)

You can now move the actual Database .mdf and .ldf files to another drive.

Now go back to the Management studio and attach the SQL database by choosing the server right clicking it and choose attach.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I Would recommend to create an new vm for the VUM.

We have it done in at this way, one vm for vcenter with SQLExpress and a second vm also with SQLExpress for the VUM.

My opinion is to seperate this two functions.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

1. Do a back first in case something bad happens

2. Right click my db, select Tasks , Detach, and check Drop

3. Using Windows Explorer, copy the existing Primary Data File, Secondary Data File, and Transaction Log from location on C:

4. Paste these files into new folder on 😧

5. In Studio, right click db and select Attach, Add, and select mdf file in 😧

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you are having a very small setup (4-5 ESX server), there wont be any harm in going for VUM and VC on the same setup with MSSQL Express database. But if you have a larger setup with a lot of VMs running, it is recommented to

have separate setups/database for VC and VUM.

Hope this helps

-Sandeep

0 Kudos
Gmurisonapd
Contributor
Contributor

I thought I would pipe in, I have a pretty small deployment (2 esx hosts, 40 VM's). My VC/VUM server is also in a VM.

My esx hosts are in a DRS/HA cluster which I have in fully automated mode, so when one esx goes into maintenance

mode, vMotion moves the VM's (Including my VC/VUM server) over to the other server.

You may want to cehck this doc out:

0 Kudos