VMware Cloud Community
mastermold305
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VUM installed but not working

I have 6 host running esxi 6.0 with the enterprise plus edition. I installed VUM so i can keep the host up to date, upon scanning the hosts I get the following error "The last operation failed for the entity with the following error message. There was an error connecting to VMware vSphere Update Manager"

The next place I went to look was the event viewer on on vcenter server, inside the application logs I found these:

Error entry 1 in the event viewer

The description for Event ID 1000 from source VMware VirtualCenter Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Log directory: S:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\logs\vmware-vpx.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Error entry 2 in the event viewer

The description for Event ID 1 from source VMware vSphere Update Manager Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

VMware vSphere Update Manager Service service started

The next place i checked was the log directory mentioned in error entry 1. I found a few logs in that directory which are super long but while review them the one thing that jumped out was this

Error from the vcenter txt logs
2016-10-03T15:24:35.344-07:00 info vpxd[04640] [Originator@6876 sub=Libs] FILE: FileCreateDirectoryRetry: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\ProgramData\VMware): Cannot create a file when that file already exists (183)

How can I resolve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mastermold305
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I sorta figured it out but i'll come back to it another

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply