VMware Cloud Community
edox77
Contributor
Contributor

VUM i'm at risk?

Hi,

i'm new to vmware update manager, my customer with 3 Host Esx 3.5 u4 want to be able updating his infrastructure (Only ESX) all automatically, so i configured VUM and i see what in attached image:

About all 41 "Non Compliant Updates" where every require reboot, i guess that in remediation process my server must be rebooted about 40 time???

By the way what procedure you would use in this scenario, remediate one ESX then another, remediate all Cluster directly, create more baselines .. what is the best practices?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

all patches will be installed, then your ESX host will reboot upon completion.

The could thing about VUM is that if you have DRS set to fully automated and remediate a cluster, the process will issue an "enter maintenance mode", DRS will migrate all the VM's, the host will be patched, reboot and exit maintenance mode when it comes back on-line. That process will continue through all the hosts in the cluster.

danm66
Expert
Expert

Unless your vcenter server is a VM... The process will error out if it comes to the host with the VC on it.

0 Kudos
edox77
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Onother thing: 40 updates are so much, if some error happens during update i'm able to rollback? So it's a good practice update one ESX at time?

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

Yeah, while it is advertised to work as stated before, I prefer to manually migrate my VM's and put the host into maintenance mode (set DRS to manual or semi-automated first). I don't want to start something only to find out after an hour of no activity that there was a problem migrating a VM or something like that.

If there is an error during a patching operation, don't manually reboot the host until you have determined the cause and verified that the last patch install completed 100%. If you reboot and not all operations had completed during the installation, the host may not come up after a reboot.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Also be sure that there isn't anything that will keep the VMs from migrating like an attached CD.

0 Kudos