VMware Cloud Community
ivanerben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vSphere Update Manager notification alert: (critical): 1(1)

How can I disable this alert?

The number of notifications downloaded:

Critical/Total notifications: 1/1

ID: ESXi550-201505101-BN

Impact: Critical

Release date: 2015-05-05

Summary: VMware advises not to upgrade to ESX 5.5 Patch Release ESXi550-201504002 released on 4/30/2015.   Refer to KB#2116370 for details.

Description: VMware advises not to upgrade to ESX 5.5 Patch Release ESXi550-201504002 released on 4/30/2015.   Refer to KB#2116370 for details.

When I clear this alarm in vcenter, it will appear again after restarting update manager service.

13 Replies
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope to tag along on this if you don't mind iverben - I too wouldn't mind the message stopping, but I'm also curious how to "resolve it".  Is it best to delete the aforementioned download?  I have not seen it listed in my downloaded updates so I'm unsure how to get rid of it if that is what I'm supposed to do.

FirstByte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same thing here - constantly receiving this alert on client vCenter Servers. Can Acknowledge and Clear the alarm in VC, but it keeps coming back. Also can read the individual notification in VUM (Notifications tab), but how does one accept/clear/mute or even destroy it permanently? Double-clicking just tells me more about the patch, and not how to disable.

PS: I have since patched all hosts with all required critical patches using VUM. Compliance is now all green. Cleared the alert under vCenter alarms, but it still comes back.

Thanks

rizrizza1
Contributor
Contributor

Good to know that this alert does not go away even when fully patched. I've been trying to figure out how to stop this alert from coming back and don't want to disable it. Would love to see a response from anyone on how to kill this though. I've been digging through Update Manager documentation, community and forum posts with no success.

ronaldmercieca
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, and with same notification alert.

Each time I connect to vCentre with vSphere, I automatically receive hereunder email in my inbox. Can we acknowledge this notification alert in any way?

The number of notifications downloaded:

Critical/Total notifications: 1/1

ID: ESXi550-201505101-BN

Impact: Critical

Release date: 2015-05-05

Summary: VMware advises not to upgrade to ESX 5.5 Patch Release ESXi550-201504002 released on 4/30/2015.   Refer to KB#2116370 for details.

Description: VMware advises not to upgrade to ESX 5.5 Patch Release ESXi550-201504002 released on 4/30/2015.   Refer to KB#2116370 for details.

0 Kudos
ivanerben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, same problem and no solution, so I have opened vmware support request.

0 Kudos
ivanerben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So reply from vmware was just Check the "Configuring and Viewing Notifications" and "Configure Notifications Checks" sections

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-update-manager-55-install-admi...

I have tried to disable 'Enable scheduled download' from Notification Check Schedule. I don't know if this is good solution.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree - it doesn't seem to answer my question either of why I am getting alerts when I seemingly don't even have that update downloaded.  It is some sort of global alert?

0 Kudos
cgrossk
Contributor
Contributor

I've got this problem as well.

chadgates
Contributor
Contributor

‌same problem here

0 Kudos
cgrossk
Contributor
Contributor

I put in a ticket and the support agent said it's nothing to worry about. They are still sending this out.  He didn't know how much longer they would continue sending this out.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So... the alert is not at all based on you having it in your downloads then?

0 Kudos
cgrossk
Contributor
Contributor

That's the way they made it sound to me.  Nothing to worry about so I'm not.  lol

rizrizza
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case with VMware to see if there is any way to filter or disable this single alert, and unfortunately is not a function available at this time for Update Manager, I'd prefer not to and it's not recommended to disable update notifications.  Here is the summary of the case, there was mention of the possibility of seeing this alert go away with the next build release... we can hope.

*ESXi 5.5 Patch 5 with build number 2702864 has been recalled for some reason .
To update everyone about this, we implemented a alarm notification.

*Later the patch was released with new build number 2718055, however the alarm still did not stop triggering.

Currently there is no option to disable single alarm , however can stop update manager alarm .

Reference article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2116562

0 Kudos