VMware Cloud Community
Slants
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Update Manager Client install fails

I have a system that has been upgraded from ESX 3.5 to vSphere and successfully installed the vSphere Client, can see my hosts and all VM's with no problems. I can install the VM Converter plug-in but when I try to install the Update Manager plug-in it fails every time.

I am installing this on a Windows 7 64bit machine (my laptop is also Win7 64bit and it installed successfully there). I have tried to install the application and get the following error message in Windows application logs:

Product: VMware vCenter Update Manager Client -- Setup cannot continue. VMware vSphere Client is not found to be installed on this computer. VMware vCenter Update Manager Client can be installed only on machines where VMware vSphere Client is present.

I have already gone into my %TEMP% store and tried to install simply the exe file (VMware-UMClient.exe) and when that failed, I copied over the extracted files including all .ini, .bmp, .msi & .mst files to the root of my C drive and tried the installation from there. All of these provided the same resulting failure.

During installation I get this message first indicating the location of my vSphere Client installation:

Then when I click the only "real" option of Install, a few seconds go by and then I get this message:

9022_9022.png

Click ok and then get a message saying that installation failed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
caaneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got it to install finally.

The strange solution was I had to login as Administrator to my machine and then install the plugin. Even though my account is an administrator account.

Anyway, problem solved, works perfectly and am remediating right now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am exactly in the same boat. XP or win7 32bit clients don't have these issues only win7 64 which I could not install update manager or converter plugins on.

I have as a test on my win7 64 uninstalled and reinstalled the vSphere client in c:\program files instead of c:\program files (x86) made no difference what so ever and actually the installation still went into the (x86) folder!

I am astonished not to find much on the internet about this, I thought the'll be a lot of people screaming about it, maybe I am looking at the wrong way.

I hope someone will come forward with a solution, quick.

Instructions provide the steps to do it but you still have to apply your intelect.
0 Kudos
TristanT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here on vC 4 w/VUM 4. Clients running xp and win7 both showing this behavior. Very annoying!

0 Kudos
itvmmgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exact same issue here on my 32bit Windows 7. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to add that the converter plugin has the same issue when installing on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have managed to install both plugins (update manager and converter) on Windows 7 32 bit clients but not on 64.

Also to ask have you got vSphere update one and all the latest updates installed.

Instructions provide the steps to do it but you still have to apply your intelect.
0 Kudos
itvmmgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I have Update One vCenter.

0 Kudos
grasch1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

same problem here. Solution:

copy your install files from the %TEMP%-directory to your root

folder (C:, d: ...), then start the setup with rightclick --> run as administrator....

Guenther

Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guenther,

Thank you for your update your solution was simple and effective.

May I add that if you are in vSphere Client close it and start it up again to see the effect.

I am awarding points to you Guenther, well done and thanks!

0 Kudos
grasch1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jawdat,

you´re right. It seemss it´s a installer bug. If you try

to install the converter plugin a popup from UAC appears

and it´s installing without errors. No popup from update

manager-plugin installation...

Günther

0 Kudos
cbeveridge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did not work for me. I have Vcenter installed on a drive other than C: and it seems that the installer for UMupdate cannot find the install. I just keep getting the same error message that the Vsphere client is not installed on this machine.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What you're running on vCentre; OS verstion, SPack and platform 32 or 64bit.

Also are you installing the plug-in for VUM (update manager) or VUM service (usually part of the vcentre install/upgrade though)>

0 Kudos
cbeveridge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WIndows 2003, SP2, 32bit

Yes trying to install the plugin from Virtual center client interface. Also tried installing the UMclient.exe same results.

I am thinking that the install for update manager is looking for the vcenter client install on C: and since mine is installed on E: it cannot find it and errors that it is not installed on this machine.

0 Kudos
grasch1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

can you install from the unpacked msi-files? If so

just try to create an MST-File (with install shield

admin tools or other...) and try to edit the MST.

I guess there´s a property pointing to %PROGRAMFILES%\...

so you can try to edit that property to point to your

install directory (or change %PROGRAMFILES% - bad

idea...)

It´s only a guess I´ll try it next week at work...

Regards

Guenther

0 Kudos
cbeveridge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got it resolved. I assumed that the install for Update Manager plugin is looking for the VCenter client install on the C: drive, but I had installed on the E: drive.

I uninstalled the client and reinstalled on C: and the Update Manager plugin installed perfectly. I guess the install code is looking for the client install on C: specifically, and not using a variable to find the client install. Not such good coding on the installation routine but I got it going.

thanks for the responses and assistance and hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos
grasch1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think you are right. The installer looks at %PROGRAMFILES%\...

I guess. The installer package should contain an option to select

a directory, if vcenter-Client wasn´t found. Bad coding....

I´ll try to generate a MST next week, I keep you informed.

Guenther

0 Kudos
caaneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you had any luck creating this install package?

I am running Windows 7 x64 and cannot get the update manager plugin to install. I don't even see it in the TEMP folder (c:\windows\temp), maybe Im looking in the wrong folder?

0 Kudos
caaneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got it to install finally.

The strange solution was I had to login as Administrator to my machine and then install the plugin. Even though my account is an administrator account.

Anyway, problem solved, works perfectly and am remediating right now.

0 Kudos
Slants
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For those still trying to resolve this problem, logging into the machine as administrator will solve the problem as well as others listed here.

If you are trying to find the files that are extracted to your temp folder, your best bet is to hit the WINDOWS key + R to get the Run dialog box and then type %temp% followed by the hitting the enter key to show you the directory the files are extracted to.

0 Kudos
grasch1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

-gelöscht-

Nachricht geändert durch grasch1010

0 Kudos
dixitr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem for me. I just Right click the vSphere client and opened with Administrator rights. Thats it. It worked.

0 Kudos