VMware Cloud Community
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware tools options greyed out on all virtual machines

Hi

We have a cluster consisting of two ESXi hosts controlled by vCenter. The system(s) are isolated with no internet access. The latest VMware tools install was installed using update manager (local repo) and the esxi hosts updated. I would have thought that the vm's in vcenter would show as having an updated tools available but this did not happen. When I attempt to manually update them from vcenter, all options for vmware tools are greyed out. All vm's report the version of vmware tools is current but they also report the older version as installed. It is like the esxi hosts and vcenter are not advertising the correct version (the updated one)

Any thoughts on how this could be rectified?

vCenter and esxi versions all 7.01.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

0 Kudos
8 Replies
lukaszzasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Try to:

1. Login to vCenter using account with  permission for this operation

2. Check VM settings for OS version: VM > edit settings > VM Options > General Options > Guest OS

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Do you see the same when you directly login to ESXi node using host client ? Can you try to access the ESXi host directly and check if you get options to update tool or how does it show there. This will help to isolate the issue. If it is fine at ESXi end then there could be some issues between ESXi and VC in passing the data.

Regards,

Suresh

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
udaykiranv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Kindly check does the user having the right access levels ?

RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Generally this option will grey out if you have already initiated this and Tools image is mounted to guest VM. Go to VM settings and check if tools image is mounted. You might have initiated it previously.

Try to connect CD/DVD drive on vm

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but the issue exists whether I am logged in as myself (an admin account) or as administrator@vsphere.local.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks. It is the same (greyed out) whether connected to the vcenter server or esxi host.

Henry

0 Kudos
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. Both administrator@vsphere.local and my own admin account have this issue.

0 Kudos
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Nothing mounted. Having an ISO mounted on one vm would not cause ALL vm's to have all VMware tools options to ge greyed out on all vm's.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos