VMware Cloud Community
bbambrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Update manager fails on ESXi 3.5 hosts

Hey folks,

Having a problem trying to scan and patch ESX 3.5 hosts using Update Manager 4.1. I was initially getting the problem on my trusty old update manager server and I re-installed the service on the actual vCenter server using a fresh DB to try and start from scratch.

I want to update some of the very old (rarely rebooted) standalone servers we have which are running ESX 3.5i with the patch which needs to be applied before June 1st. (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103000...)

Basically, when I scan an ESX 3.5i host it tells me that it can't find patch metadata and the scan fails. I can't import the two patches needed to apply the update from the link KB article above because again, update Update Manager tells me it's missing metadata when I try to do so.

Scanning and patching ESX4 hosts works fine.

If I look in my patch repository, under embedded esx, I can find an ESX3.5 folder. In there there's a contents.xml which lists 52 patches. The folder however only contains 14 subfolders - i.e. my fresh install of Update Manager has only downloaded 14 of the 52 patches it should have. When I do a manual scan and tail the esxupdate log file on the 3.5i server I can see that it's failing to download a load of files from the Update Manager server - which is prettymuch what I'm expecting because those files don't exist there.

I've tried editing the contents.xml to remove the non-existing update bundles, but it re-generates when you try and scan.

I've raised this with VMware support but the guy didn't seem to have run into it before. Anybody got any ideas how I can patch these machines?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jaceksto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have got exactly the same problem. Did you manage it?

Regards,

0 Kudos
bbambrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The solution is to upgrade to ESX4 - it's what I ended up doing. Here's part of what VMware support suggested that I do:

1. Download ESXe350-201012401-O-BG.zip from http://download3.vmware.com/software/vi/ESXe350-201012401-O-BG.zip
  2. Unzip this file.
  3. Open ESXe350-201012401-O-BG directory and unzip each of the three zips inside.
  4. Upload the ESXe350-201012401-O-BG folder to the ESX host via vSphere client datastore browser.
  5. Run the following command for each of the three unzipped folders, Please note you must use the absolute path of the patch directory or this will fail:

esxupdate -r -v --nosigcheck install /vmfs/volumes/<datastore_name>/ESXe350-201012401-O-BG/ESXe350-200911203-C-UG

esxupdate -r -v --nosigcheck install /vmfs/volumes/<datastore_name>/ESXe350-201012401-O-BG/ESXe350-201012401-I-BG

esxupdate -r -v --nosigcheck install /vmfs/volumes/<datastore_name>/ESXe350-201012401-O-BG/ESXe350-201012402-T-BG

After doing that I still had the same problem and they told me this:

If the patch has been applied and we are still seeing this problem the only option would be to reinstall using the iso attached to the KB linked below, this iso contains the patch in question and all subsequent patches also, otherwise as you said upgrading to ESX4i would also work.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2000593 - ESXi Server 3.5 June 2011 Rollup CD image

So basically they told me to re-install, so I ended up finally getting downtime for the machines and updating them to ESXi 4.1. I'm still convinced that vmware removed files from their update site to force people to update to the newer version.

- Brian

0 Kudos