VMware Cloud Community
mattond
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Update Manager error 27520 during installation

Hi,

I'm trying to install VMware Update Manager (the version that comes with VC 2.5 U4) and get following error during installation

"Error 27520.Error opening XML file C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\db_config.xml. 1"

When I abort the installation, an event is written in the Application Event Viewer: Event ID 10005, Source: MsiInstaller

The description is exactly the same as mentioned above during installation.

I'm logged into my server as an administrator. I've configured an ODBC connection using the SQL Native Client to a dedicated SQL 2005 SP2 database on a remote server. On the remote server the dbuser has the dbowner right on the database and also on the MSDB

I already installed succesfully VC 2.5 U4, VMware Converter and the VIC on that same server. My VC connects to another database on the same SQL server. Everything works fine, except the VUM part ...

My server is a virtual machine running Windows Server 2003 R2 with 2GB RAM. The latest security patches are installed.

I hope somebody can me help out of this problem.

Kind Regards,

Danny

0 Kudos
5 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can u locate this file "db_config.xml" in your update manager folder?

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
mattond
Contributor
Contributor

I can locate it in my update manager folder. It isn't marked hidden nor read-only.

When I Ignore the error during installation, I get the same error on other xml files (extension.xml - vci-integrity.xml)

It ends with error 25003.Setup failed to create database tables. - Which is logic because the db_config.xml file can not be configured...

Regards,

Danny

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can u open it just want to make sure the file is not corrupt.

BTW, If I'm not mistaken extension.xml & vci-integrity.xml can be located inside Update Manager Installer folder (.cab). If correct, try look for db_config.xml & copy it to your c:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\ and reinstall your VUM. I never test it, just a suggestion....

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

0 Kudos
mattond
Contributor
Contributor

I can open the db_config.xml file without any problem.

The db_config.xml file is generated during installation, the 2 other files resides in the VCI.cab file. I checked the size and the date, everything is OK. I can access these files during the installation process.

However, I ran into something strange: When I ignore the errors, the installation ends without succes and it does a rollback operation. When I then take a look in my Update Manager folder I see the 3 xml files as Read-Only and Hidden. Also the icon is changed: a black sign is added in the lower left corner of the icon (see attach). This behaviour only shows up after ignoring the errors and let the installation fails.

Danny

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mattond,

Have you solve your problem? and if not, Could you plz forward me with your db_config.xml?

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

0 Kudos