VMware Cloud Community
MTomasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware - Update Manager Not Showing Up In vCenter or vSphere Client

I setup a VM with VMware Update Manager from the 5.5 U3 vCenter download.  I'm running vCenter (Applicance) 5.5.0 build 4180647 (which should be vCenter 5.5 U3e).  I've tried installing the plug-in in the vSphere client (5.5.0 build 1993072 and build 4032365) and I click to install the plugin, it says 100% downloaded and then goes right back to being able to click to download again.  It never seems to install.  I've also logged into the vCenter web client and Update Manager isn't there either. 

I ran the  VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe and re-registered with vCenter by name and by IP, but it still never shows up. 

Clients I've tried are Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and Update Manager is installed on Server 2012 R2.  Help please! 

6 Replies
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MTomasko

Any reason why the Update manager is still at 55U3 and not the same version as the vCenter Server Appliance version 55u3e ?

Could you please upgrade the Update manager to the same version as vCenter server i.e., 55u3e  in your case and let us know the configuration works.

Update manager 55u3e: VMware vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3e Release Notes

0 Kudos
MTomasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

User error.  Downloading 5.5.0 U3e now.  I'll follow up.  Thanks.

MTomasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Went to the download page for 5.5.0u3 and it's the same ISO I downloaded this morning.  VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-4180646-20160801-update03.iso 

The logs are showing : build=4118384 for Update Manager

Section for VMware Update Manager, pid=1884, version=5.5.0, build=4118384, option=Release

2017-08-07T16:13:47.037-04:00 [02152 info 'Default'] [serviceWin32,506] VMware vSphere Update Manager Service service started

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you restarted the update manager service after re-registering the vCenter server ?

if not. then please do restart the update manger service.

0 Kudos
MTomasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've restarted Update Manager and rebooted vCenter appliance.  Are there any logs I can pull to help troubleshoot?

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You may look at the following places for logs to check an obvious errors

VMware vSphere 5.0 Client

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VMware\vpx\viclient*.log

Update manager: C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs\

0 Kudos