VMware Cloud Community
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA 7.0 - Update Planner "Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates"

I am getting this error message for VCSA 7.0 - Update Planner "Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates"

Also getting errors under "Interoperability" - Unexpected error occurred while fetching the interoperability details

I have tried:

"SSH into VCSA 7.0 and run the below command:

rm /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf

After removing the file, VCSA patched successfully."

Also

Resetting VMware Update Manager Database on a vCenter Server Appliance:

VMware Knowledge Base

I am now stuck at why this update planner is no longer working.

Any help would be appreciated on this on.

63 Replies
HCDataCentreTea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We see it in update 2d as well

goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

At this point I expect to see:

"This is by design. Will not fix."

This bug has been with us over a year now.

shawnmthomas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure do!

0 Kudos
chi201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this on 7.0 build 17920168 and upgrade via the appliance console to 18455184 but still get the error in the vcenter gui.

0 Kudos
stgeorgiev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had and still have the same issue with updates.

the only thing that solves the problem is as described and im sending just the commands to ease the process for someone that stumbles uppon this issue.

##################

cd /etc/applmgmt/appliance/
rm -rf software_update_state.conf
service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr
/usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db
rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*
service-control --start vmware-updatemgr

##################

after soo many updates the issue is still not resolved.

chi201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is this a workaround for this version or a fix?

0 Kudos
stgeorgiev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

this is a workaround. Sadly you have to do this for every update. 

0 Kudos
chi201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ran the commands:

Command> shell
Shell access is granted to root
root@dr-vcsa [ ~ ]# cd /etc/applmgmt/appliance/
root@dr-vcsa [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]# rm -rf software_update_state.conf
root@dr-vcsa [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]# service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr
Operation not cancellable. Please wait for it to finish...
Performing stop operation on service updatemgr...
Successfully stopped service updatemgr
root@dr-vcsa [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]# /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db
Resetting vSphere Update Manager database...
Successfully reset vSphere Update Manager database
Start vSphere Update Manager service to apply the setting.
root@dr-vcsa [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]# rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*
root@dr-vcsa [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]# service-control --start vmware-updatemgr
Operation not cancellable. Please wait for it to finish...
Performing start operation on service updatemgr...
Successfully started service updatemgr
root@dr-vcsa [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]#

Still see: Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates - under update tab on vcsa.

Am i missing something here?  

stgeorgiev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Afterr those commands you have to start the update from https://"your_vcenter_address:5480/#/login" without rebooting VcenterServer.

It should show you the update available for your vcenter.

0 Kudos
Esxi7BugHater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked for me.

@stgeorgiev wrote:

I had and still have the same issue with updates.

the only thing that solves the problem is as described and im sending just the commands to ease the process for someone that stumbles uppon this issue.

##################

cd /etc/applmgmt/appliance/
rm -rf software_update_state.conf
service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr
/usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db
rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*
service-control --start vmware-updatemgr

##################

after soo many updates the issue is still not resolved.

Remember to upgrade from https://"your_vcenter_address:5480/#/login" after you run his commands.  Worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
Gary_617
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you un-check the "Check Certificate" option in the Update Settings on VCenter Server Management, the update will appear for staging and install.

0 Kudos
HCDataCentreTea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"If you un-check the "Check Certificate" option in the Update Settings on VCenter Server Management, the update will appear for staging and install."

That wasn't the issue being discussed here.

0 Kudos
stgeorgiev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The update 7.0.3.00000 seems to fix the issue for now 🙂 I've updated today and now the error disappeared.

Checking and unchecking "Check Certificate" actually did nothing to solve the problem, maybe it solves it to someone but unfortunately it was not solving mine.

Regards

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How did you get the update process to work though.  Let me preface with I just stood up my new VSphere 7 enterprise environment we have been using Hyper-v so everything is brand new.  I only have two ESXi servers and one VCSA 7 server so far with one other VM which is the storage controller snap in VM appliance.  So, I did what Gary_617 said to do "If you un-check the "Check Certificate" option in the Update Settings on VCenter Server Management, the update will appear for staging and install"

The update started perfectly and began but then suddenly I was logged off the vCenter website with no indication where the process was at?  I could not log back into the vCenter website so I logged into vSphere website and saw that my vCenter server was at least running again and I could log into the VCSA console.  So, I tried logging into the VCSA Management website with my administrator account and I could not I had to use the root account which worked.  Upon login to my VCSA 7 management website  I see the update still running with some kind of error - "Invalid Type, expected String, instead got NoneType" (not a type-o thats really how the message reads) and a spinning wheel?  The progress bar said 90% done which sat there for about another 45 minutes so I clicked F5 on keyboard to refresh the screen and of course was logged off and had to log back in and now I see the same progress window with the same error but the progress bar is at 0% now and has been for at least 30 minutes.  Any ideas????

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had to stop the update process and restart my VCSA server I could then restart the Update but its still stuck at "Invalid Type, expected String, instead got NoneType" now its 80% done and the wheel is spinning.  I know these updates can take awhile but mine is a new environment and is almost nothing meaning very very small?

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If anyone is interested I tried this one more time but this time I chose Stage only for the update file then once the file was staged I ran it and it worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You mean it ran perfectly after you wasted a day and a half. 😉

0 Kudos
Esxi7BugHater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wasted a day and a half on MANY aspects of vSphere 7.  It is the biggest pile of garbage.  Should have bought 6.4 after weeks if not months wasted googling error messages just about with every attempted task.  Not to mention the SDcard freezing bug.  That was a doozie.

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LOL.  Indeed. Sheesh, what a challenge especially for a noob like myself.  I've used VMWare from an operations standpoint since 5.5 never had to build an environment out and or patch/update any servers though. 😜

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I will say that once it is going it's pretty robust but getting it initially stable can be challenging. Updates and upgrades are always a rocky road. It seems like they are trying to improve that but it's not there yet. For me the biggest challenge is ensuring that hardware is up to snuff when an upgrade occurs. I lost a raid volume during my last upgrade because it couldn't sort out the hardware. That was fun. Glad I use Veeam to back it all up.