VMware Cloud Community
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA 7.0 - Update Planner "Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates"

I am getting this error message for VCSA 7.0 - Update Planner "Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates"

Also getting errors under "Interoperability" - Unexpected error occurred while fetching the interoperability details

I have tried:

"SSH into VCSA 7.0 and run the below command:

rm /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf

After removing the file, VCSA patched successfully."

Also

Resetting VMware Update Manager Database on a vCenter Server Appliance:

VMware Knowledge Base

I am now stuck at why this update planner is no longer working.

Any help would be appreciated on this on.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I got an answer from support:

As per release notes from 7.0 b and 7.0 c we still have this issue ongoing and the internal teams are working on a fix:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-700c-release-notes.html

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-700b-release-notes.html

Currently there is no resolution and the alternative/workaround is to perform it from VAMI or using the developer options.

View solution in original post

63 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

this, post of July 8 you opened it with another account ?? because it's too similar ...

"Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates" in VCSA 7.0

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @AlessandroRomeo68

You misunderstood, That post does not solve my problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I didn't write that post solves your problem. I asked you if you opened it because it is identical.

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That post is a solution, not a question.

0 Kudos
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Some Screenshots of the errors

0 Kudos
CarlMarshall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are also getting the same errors as yourself Richard, both with the Update Planner and Interoperability.. I will update if I find anything useful, hopefully this is something simple as I'd like to use the new features in v7.

0 Kudos
TechneJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any news on this?

I been having this issue for a little while now.

0 Kudos
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No updates yet

Still having the same issue, I will open a SR with VMWare when I get a chance.

0 Kudos
Kev_Johnson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you seeing the same issue if you try to update through VAMI? If so could you tail /var/log/vmware/applmgmt/software-packages.log when you check for updates?

0 Kudos
TechneJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure about OP, but this error shows up in VAMI...

I'm shooting for a reinstall this week. Just starting with VMware lab past month. I'd like to see if this is something I did or an actual VMware error, so I can well not repeat the mistake.
Error in method invocation [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/storage/core/software-update/updates/index'

Spoke to soon, hit check for updates a few times and now it shows up. Doing the install now, we'll see if this works.

0 Kudos
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Strangely I can update and patch VIA VAMI, I see no issues there.

0 Kudos
TechneJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems the error for Interoperability and updates still exists, although it appears to have updated from Vami.

0 Kudos
Richardkovics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is from the release notes under known issues:

When you use the Update Planner, in the vSphere Client you might see Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates

When you use Update Planner, which is part of vSphere Lifecycle Manager, used to facilitate vCenter Server updates, you might see the following error in the vSphere Client:
Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates
The issue occurs when you use a custom HTTPS port that prevents you from running interoperability reports by using the vSphere Client.

Workaround: Manually invoke the API. For more details, see the vSphere Automation API.

Although I do not use a custom port, it could still be revelant? I have also not figured out how to manually invoke the API.

0 Kudos
vadonka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The latest update is a mess. Messed up my vcenter. I updated to the 7.0.0.10700, but i still see that im on the previous version and i need to install 10700.

When i try i got this: Update installation failed, vCenter Server is non-operational.

But my server is up and running, and everything is working fine, except the update manager is broke again.

Com'on vmware...

0 Kudos
Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have the same error.

Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 12.17.36.png

The /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf file however shows "UP_TO_DATE"

After removing the file /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf it is recreated and still shows "UP_TO_DATE"

2020-09-14_11-58-11.png

Following KB 2147284 VMware Knowledge Base does not help.

2020-09-14_12-03-20.png

2020-09-14_12-05-31.png

VAMI shows that an update is available

Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 12.24.06.png

I opened a Support Request with VMware (SR# 20155337309)

Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I got an answer from support:

As per release notes from 7.0 b and 7.0 c we still have this issue ongoing and the internal teams are working on a fix:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-700c-release-notes.html

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-700b-release-notes.html

Currently there is no resolution and the alternative/workaround is to perform it from VAMI or using the developer options.

mariss35
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So , we have 7.0.1 and nothing changed ,Update planner and Interoperability still spews out "Unexpected error occurred while fetching updates" , anyone have any update regarding this ?

0 Kudos
vadonka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From 7.0.1.00000 to 7.0.1.00100 upgrade failed (again).

0 Kudos
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From 7.0.1.00200 to 7.0.1.00300 upgrade, same thing as OP: Update Planner "Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates".

A couple interesting notes in my case:

1. I have two VCSAs; I updated both this morning to 00300. Now one of them (the vcsa that I upgraded first) gets this error; but the other one doesn't get this error.

2. If I log into vCenter server as administrator@vsphere.local, I don't see the error on either of them.

Hmmm...

0 Kudos