VMware Cloud Community
Scorpionking36
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade vCenter 6.7 to 7 unable to select network

Dear forum users,

I am trying to upgrade vcenter 6.7 to 7 in mine testenvironment, but at the network page I am unable to select any network and not click next.

He request to select a network, I also use distributed port switchs.  According to the manual, to rule states: "If you are deploying the appliance directly on an ESXi host, non-ephemeral distributed virtual port groups are not supported and do not appear as options during the upgrade. After the upgrade, you can manually connect the appliance to the original non-ephemeral distributed virtual port group. This process is not a limitation when deploying the appliance through a vCenter Server, and you can deploy to ephemeral or non-ephemeral distributed virtual port groups.".

So, how can I upgrade to vCenter 7 and allows me to select a network.

With kind regards from,

Ben.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> a new standard virtual switch with ephemeral port
An ephemeral port group can only be created on a distributed vSwitch.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Simply create a new ephemeral port group for the vCenter Server's network. This will not only allow you to select a network during an upgrade, but also allows you to select that network from an ESXi host directly, in case there's a need for it (e.g. vCenter not being available).

André

0 Kudos
harry89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ideally VC vm must be managed by some some other management vCenter , This is the best practice

In your case , either you move the VC to the standard switch on the host , if VC is using DVS then we have to ensure that port group which VC is using must be ephemeral port , which means when the virtual machine powers off or the NIC of the virtual machine is disconnected, the port is deleted.

Utilising of static port will only happen through vCenter Server.

Note: Port type setting will be for entire port group 

Harry
VCIX-DCV6.5 ,VCIX-NV6 , VCAP-CMA7
Mark answer as correct/helpful if it solves your query
0 Kudos
Scorpionking36
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the Information, I'll try next Friday to create a new standard virtual switch with ephemeral port. I'll keep in touch.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> a new standard virtual switch with ephemeral port
An ephemeral port group can only be created on a distributed vSwitch.

André

0 Kudos
Scorpionking36
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New switch worked, with ephemeral port group, but after stage one, I get an licensing error.

So I have decided to not upgrade to 7 vcenter and go back to the free version ESXI of 7.

So for me, this discussion can be closed.

Thank you for all your help.

0 Kudos
vadim_solovey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New ephemeral port group in the same DVS with the same vlan works fine.

0 Kudos