VMware Cloud Community
LanceHaig
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Updating Ubuntu Guests

HI,

We have 2 ESX clusters and we run about 160 to 185 ubuntu guests Mainly 8.04. The number of guests is now making it very difficult to keep them upto date with patches and vmware updates.

I am trying to find out how other people manage their Ubuntu Guests (config Management and Patches)

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I am quite keen to find out.

Thanks

Lance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Lance,

Personally, I'd build my own repository for the Ubuntu Environment, then configure the guests to only use the custom repository on your network. this would also limit Internet traffic of all systems pulling down patches independent of each other.

I think you'd need to have one per major version (8.04/10 9.04/10 etc), but you control which patches are available by putting them inside the repository.

this URL is a pretty good "getting started" type tutorial: http://beginlinux.com/blog/2010/01/create-an-ubuntu-repository/

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Lance,

Personally, I'd build my own repository for the Ubuntu Environment, then configure the guests to only use the custom repository on your network. this would also limit Internet traffic of all systems pulling down patches independent of each other.

I think you'd need to have one per major version (8.04/10 9.04/10 etc), but you control which patches are available by putting them inside the repository.

this URL is a pretty good "getting started" type tutorial: http://beginlinux.com/blog/2010/01/create-an-ubuntu-repository/

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
LanceHaig
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Jonathan,

I was thinking that but I was hoping vMware had som cool tool that I had not heard of in the lines of Update Manager.

So it is over to me to do the donkey work.

Thanks for the help

Lance

0 Kudos