VMware Cloud Community
dsoverturf
Contributor
Contributor

Updates tab - Unexpected Error

ESXi 6.7.0 Build 13981272

On the web client, when I click the Updates tab on one of the hosts, or the cluster, the expected behavior is present.  However, when I highlight a VM and click the Updates tab, I get "An unexpected error has occurred".  This happens on every VM when it is selected.  I can scan/remediate from the host or the cluster level, I just cannot do so from the VM level.  Any ideas?

I've attached a screenshot of the updates tab from both the host, and the VM to illustrate the issue I am having. 

"The last time a Russian hit a brother that hard, Ivan Drago killed Apollo Creed."
Tags (1)
11 Replies
SilphCo
Contributor
Contributor

Having this same exact issue... any progress on getting it resolved? Or are you still unresolved?

0 Kudos
AhmedIbrahimVMw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take a snapshot of the vCenter Server VM, then reset the Update Manager DB using the instructions in the following KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147284

This should fix the error message you get when you select a VM and click on the Updates tab.

If anything goes wrong, revert to the snapshot that you took.

nirmalgnair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

This usually happens when the VM hardware version is 15 and Update Manager 6.7.x only supports up to HW 14.

I would suggest you to check if the VM hardware version and if its 15, then we don't have any resolution at the moment.

Work around may be to downgrade the HW to 14.

Regards,

Nirmal Nair

vSphere Install-Upgrade Support

0 Kudos
JLOAIZA
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an update on this, I am having same exact issue as descirbed.

Nirmal,

I have to disagree with you on HW compatibility being the problem. I just upgraded 9 VCSA vm's to as well as vmtools and HW compatibility to versions below. Out of the 9 VCSA's only one is having this isuue.

VCSA

• Version 6.7.0 Build 15505678
  • Guest OS:VMware Photon OS (64-bit)
  • Compatibility:ESXi 6.7 Update 2 and later (VM version 15)
  • VMware Tools:Running, version:10346 (Guest Managed)
0 Kudos
smhashemi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

I did the steps mentioned in the KB , and the error is gone.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ganeshandesenIT
Contributor
Contributor

I have 3 vCenters with embedded PSC and linked mode. In order to snapshot, I reckon , i need to take for all 3 VCSA?

0 Kudos
SteveHop
Contributor
Contributor

Check your user permissions on the hosts. I had this problem after playing with VIC and found that I had been removed from the Administrator role

Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Modification of the virtual hardware version on the vCenter Server Appliance is not supported. Likewise you should not manually install any additional version of VMware Tools inside the guest OS of the vCenter Server Appliance.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010675

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
mustafa_h
Contributor
Contributor

in my case, yes it was permission issue, I was upgrading or patching an ESXI host using the vLCM vCenter 7.0.x version and the issue was my permission on the host, it worked right after logging in with the default local admin user@domain.local 

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
jaymac19762006
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have to shutdown the VM's in order to do the DB repair?

0 Kudos
jaymac19762006
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have to shutdown the VM's in order to do the DB repair?

0 Kudos