VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Updates VIB vs Update Manager

I found out something recently which I find peculiar.

Update manager is slow.

I am not talking about click click click, select, click click , then hit remediate vs a copy / paste command in shell window..

I am talking when you actually hit 'start', Update manager takes considerably longer.. like 45 minutes vs 10.

If I copy the *.vib to a local datastore then run the esxcli update command it is very quick (ESXi is only 350 Meg) then I reboot host, it reboots it comes up with proper build and that's it.

Update manager takes a long time there is a progress meter, then it takes a while to copy the files (it is equivalent to local storage) then it sits at 21% waiting for host to reboot, that takes a while.. this is AFTER maintenance mode is already set, so it's not waiting for a response from server to confirm VM's are stop, etc..

This is strictly the upgrade process, why is it so much longer via Upgrade manager for the same exactly ISO / VIB file?  Both are from VMware site, nothing special.. I assume ISO is the same as VIB for this part, but maybe not..

Still update manager takes a long time, not only that but if I ping a host to monitor progress it reboots .. twice before it finally comes up and shows done in vCenter console.. I find that odd as well.

VIB only restarts once and doesn't restart again.

I would think that given no special parameters in Update Manager it's just a straight up 'upgrade' no patching no other baselines JUST the upgrade, that's it.  Why is there a discrepancy in the amount of time, anyone else notice this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Please see if you can find any thing useful from the document from the link below: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vum-vsphere65-perf.pdf

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos