VMware Cloud Community
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

Update of ESX Server updates fail with "Metadata Download failed"

Can anyone help please?

Been using Update manager for quite a while but for some reason it has stopped working. Every time a download takes place it fails saying unable to download metadata. At first I thought it was something that had changed on our network but I don’t think that is the case now.

We normally only attempt to download updates for ESX hosts but I changed the scheduled job to download windows and Linux updates only to find this works but changing it back to just download ESX server updates it fails.

I have seen many items about others having same problems downloading and I have implemented many of those changes, these include changing the timeout & retry values in the vci-integrity.xml file but no matter what I do the ESX updates continue to fail to download.

When trying to do the update for ESX updates it gets stuck at 33% then fails by saying “Metaframe download failed”

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Phil

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Note: This thread was moved from the ESXi forum to the Update Manager forum.

What version of ESX and Update Manager are you using?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

ESX 3.5

Update manager 1.0.0.63995

VMware VirtualCenter 2.5.0.64237

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

See if kb 1026435 is of any help.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

This refers to a file called vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log but I cannot find it on my server?...the VCenter server that is or should I be looking somewhere else?

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

did you check http://theether.net/kb/100080

specially the last symptom for the diskspace

Ezzeldin, VCI,VCP3,VCP4,VSP,VTSP

Kindly note, if your problem or question has been resolved, please mark the thread as answered and award points.

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

sorry for not comming back before now.

I think I might be getting to the bottom of the problem and I think its to do with kb 1026435 where it talks about VMUM 1 which may contain metadata for patches that are removed.

do you know where i can find the latest VMUM for ESX 3.5, I can find the latest for VSphere V4 but my system is still 3.5

thanks

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you put the server in maintenance mode?
sent the folder you downloaded and uncompressed?

esxupdate-m metadata.zip update

would you check the md5 interesting to note that not downloaded the broken package.

Good lucky!

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sorry but I don’t understand.

I am wanting to download the latest version of VMware Update Manager for ESX 3.5, do you know where I can find this please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok This was passed to him for apllicar patches manually. Not through VUM. Sorry.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, perhaps my request was not as clear as it should have been.

However, do you know where I can find the latest update manager for ESX 3.5, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

phil

0 Kudos
winterp
Contributor
Contributor

thanks to all that have helped with this problem, it is now solved, the problem was at my end where my proxy was not allowing access

0 Kudos